Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy The Riddle of Steal

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Author

Are there any models out there that I can misappropriate as Conan?
    I ideally want a few models by the same sculptor of ‘Conan’ in various outfits.
    Obligatory loincloth being one, and some sort of leathery trouser affair and a big battle, chainmail, helmet shield type too if possible.

Scale?

Sssssh don’t tell anyone.

Whatever offers the best choice and compatibility with others.

28mm I am guessing…

Participant

I have this one since a VERY long time (left of picture) and his girlfriend (standing in front of him) but I’ve no idea who made them or if they are still on the market (and I should repaint them, they were painted with Enamel etc…)

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Participant

Sssssh don’t tell anyone. Whatever offers the best choice and compatibility with others. 28mm I am guessing…

Are you feeling alright?

Hmm, this may be a tougher one than I thought, especially given that some consistency would (presumably) be required with the sculpting style and size. My first obvious instinct was to check Reaper, but even with their Figure Finder there’s a lot to browse through. They have several figures that would make excellent loincloth-Conans (and are clearly intended for that exact purpose) but I’m starting to doubt they have corresponding-looking figures suitable for the other two versions, let alone by the same sculptor.

If you’d be prepared to look for figures from different manufacturers and sculptors then I might have some suggestions, but it’s a gamble as to whether they’d turn out to be of consistent size and style “in the flesh”, and I would accept no responsibility for that 

By the way, is it specifically the old movie version of Conan you’re looking to represent?

Going slightly off-topic, I personally would love a figure of Conan exactly the way he appears in the very earliest Marvel comics from the 70s. You know, that iconic picture of him running/charging at a sort of half-crouch, wearing a fur loincloth and that helmet with the two horns sticking out the front.

Sssssh don’t tell anyone. Whatever offers the best choice and compatibility with others. 28mm I am guessing…

Are you feeling alright?

I was wondering the same thing! 

Maybe this is like a Monty Python skit where AB is accidentally multiplying every number by 5…

Participant

Mike:

You might take a look at the Monolith miniatures boardgame “Conan”. Here is a sculpture from it:

http://simonminiaturesculptor.blogspot.ca/2015/01/kickstarter-conanthe-miniatures-part-1.html

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Yeah, that new Conan by Monolith boardgame has some excellent Conan sculpts based on classic Conan art.

Also, Bronze Age Miniatures has some great barbarians that might work well for you.

Eye of the Cyclops pre-orders now available, for a short time only:

https://eyeofthecyclops.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

Participant

Copplestone Castings (available through Northstar) have their beautiful 15mm Barbarian Heroes pack that looks like Conan in a few different outfits. They also have mounted Cimmerians, Cimmerians with bows, Vanir/Aesir and Picts, and there are plenty of 15mm historical analogues for other nations.
    If your heart is set on 28mm, maybe em4 miniatures metal barbarians? I have some and they are very cool.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Participant

I second the Copplestone Castings 15mm Barbarians, I use them for all my Crom games.

Pics speak louder than words

Good leads, tell me of this Crom, are they Conan rules?

Also, sorry, are there any other 15mm that are more like the Copplestone 18mm that would match well?
    I think CC would work for most of my barbarian needs and the picts are nice, but I would want city folk and stuff, are they out there and compatible?

Participant

The Crom rules are available from Matakishi Here

And Here’s a link to my Crom photobucket for more pics with different figs.

I find they go well with most other current 15mm figs ( scale creep) with the older lines well they are supposed to be big hulking brutes but ymmv.

I’m looking to get these for when Conan decides to go to the east.

You might take a look at the Monolith miniatures boardgame “Conan”. Here is a sculpture from it:

Hells teeth those are excellent.
    I think 32mm is going to be too big though, but they look great.

The problem I personally have with a lot of the “Conan progression” figures out there is that they assume Conan keeps rocking the loincloth-and-bare-chest style as he becomes an ever more veteran warrior, only with ever more attention-grabbing helmets, shields, swords and belts. I would think he could handle wearing a hauberk or something. And in the original REH stories he has a tendency to adopt the mode of dress of whatever culture he’s immersed in at the time.

Anyway, good luck with your Conan project! I have a similar project on the backburner, in 28mm. I may post in this thread with some tips and suggestions later when I’m more collected.

I have broken my golden rule of never buying from a site that does not accept PayPal, to order some Copplestone Castings figures.
    Will post up progress as it happens.

Any thoughts about what figures to use for city-dwellers that are compatible with the Copplestone 15s? What style of city-dwellers are you after, anyway?

Given that Copplestone gives you Picts, Cimmerians and Vanir/Aesir, I suppose Aquilonia (or the Bossonian Marches) would be the most natural choice, but there are many interpretations of what Aquilonians are supposed to look like. REH himself seems to have made them out as fairly bog-standard Middle Ages Western Europeans, but in a lot of artwork and comics they’re given a more exotic makeover, made to resemble something akin to Byzantines, “Arabised” Europeans, ancient Romans or a hybrid of all of those things.

Then, of course, there’s the 1982 movie interpretation of the Hyborian Age, iconic in itself. No Aquilonians in that but I suspect that had they been included, they would have appeared much the same as the Zamorans, retaining a sort of brutalistic, half-barbaric aesthetic despite being “civilised”.

I am awaiting the big man himself before deciding much else.
    But I am thinking a film style dry climate.
    If nothing else it gives a reason for him getting his pecs out all the time.

Plus I have never done a desert world/setting.

Any suggestions for 15/18mm fantasy buildings?
    I will of course make some myself, but time is also of course of a factor..

Any suggestions for 15/18mm fantasy buildings? I will of course make some myself, but time is also of course of a factor..

15mm.co.uk: LINK. The “civilised” buildings might not suit the arid, semi-barbaric vision of Cimmeria from the first movie, but the orc huts should suit Picts well, methinks.

Hovels: LINK. Being rather old products, I’d expect them to be on the smaller side of 15mm, but can’t be sure.

Monolith Designs: LINK. You might want to e-mail the seller first to check if he’s still in business, but last I heard from him (about a year ago), he still was.

Old Glory: LINK. The pulp-era Egyptian buildings might work, and there’s a Celtic village. Can’t seem to find the buildings on the Old Glory UK website so you may have to order them from the US.

Crescent Root: LINK. Just found these on Google. They look laser-cut.

Baueda: LINK. If I was doing a 15mm Conan project based on the aesthetic of the 1982 film and wanted some civilised buildings, I’d probably start with the Baueda Urbis range, myself. Not a very big range, though. On the plus side, they also have fortifications and tents. You could make a great caravansary district with these, perfect for the Conan theme.

Magister Militum: LINK.

There’s more, I’m sure. I’m not terribly familiar with 15mm terrain manufacturers, myself.

Oh, and Peter Pig: LINK.

And some pieces to help you make your own buildings from Ral Partha Europe: LINK.

Cheers, I may have a plan

😉

How does Crom play Strozie?
    Would it work solo, or co-op?

Participant

Crom is perfect for solo/co-op.

It is basically a dicepool engine where your heroes have say 10 to 12 dice and your average mook 3 to 5.

These dice are used for movement and attack and defence so it comes down to risk management. How much do I move or attack and what do I keep in reserve for defence.

I’ve found that hit and run and ambush strategies seem to work best, exactly how I like my Conan

Participant

The Men of the East figures from Splintered Light were sculpted with Copplestone’s Barbarica range in mind – the sorceror in the command pack even has the symbol of Set on his staff.  Splintered Light also has a range of Romano-Britons which might make good Aquilonians.

Amera Mouldings has some very cheap vac-formed 15mm Middle Eastern adobe buildings (could be adapted for sci fi, too).

They have arrived, just need to work out which will be the main man…
    eeekk they are so big!!

The Men of the East figures from Splintered Light were sculpted with Copplestone’s Barbarica range in mind – the sorceror in the command pack even has the symbol of Set on his staff.

Oh, now want to do this project! And Splintered Light still has an end-of-year sale going on, to boot.

The one thing that’s still missing to make this a perfect prospect is a bunch of half-barbaric warriors, such that would be in the service of an evil wizard, wearing all kinds of over-the-top armour. I’m even beginning to consider converting some of the Splintered Light orcs and dark elves for that purpose (but it would be an experiment, perhaps doomed to fail from the start – I don’t even know how they compare size-wise).

Oh, and maybe some Hyrkanian steppe warriors.

eeekk they are so big!!

This always gets to me about 15mm fantasy. You never know which figures will mix and which won’t until you have them in hand.

I mean compared to 6mm, after 20+ years of only buying 6mm, these are like giant models!

I mean compared to 6mm, after 20+ years of only buying 6mm, these are like giant models!

Ah, OK. Sorry.

Still, I’ve had some minor shocks ordering 15mm fantasy and sci-fi figures in the past, and finding them to be relatively gigantic for their nominal scale once having actually received them. And I’m plenty accustomed to 28mm figures.

OI Strozie Mate!!

I have ordered a set of the rules, is the e-mail that contains the link manual or instant-automatic do you recall?

Manual it seems, did not take long at all..

Now to read and plot and plan.

Matakishi’s good people. Crom is also available from Wargame Vault, though.

Don’t forget the Crom Companion, priced at “pay what you want”: LINK

Don’t forget the Crom Companion, priced at “pay what you want”:

It came with the rules for free!
    😀

Don’t forget the Crom Companion, priced at “pay what you want”:

It came with the rules for free! 😀

A steal! I am riddled…

I really want to do a kind of Zamora deserty dry board.
    I can only think of using really fine sand and the odd bit of flock here are there and stuff, anyone any suggestions, or better yet examples?

So, I have been looking for some desert style 15mm that would go with the Copplestone Barbs, anyone got any they can confirm are a similar size/build/height.

Ancient historicals may well do.

Participant

The splintered light men of the east I linked to above were actually sculpted to go with the copplestone barbarica line.

They are a bit more fantasy for some peoples tastes but ymmv.

At the moment they are running a sale 20% off I believe.

They are on my shortlist, just trying to find something from the EU to avoid large shipping and import fees.

Participant

Do not forget Tre Manor of Red Box Games.

He does some brilliant barbarians: http://red-box-games.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=311

If that is not a classic Conan, then I do not know what is.

Participant

That is a cool looking barbarian but 28mm I believe.

One of the guys who sculpts for splintered lights has hinted that there is a chance there might be a stockist this side of the pond in the near future. Havn’t gotten him to cough up a name yet though. If/when I do I’ll be sure to let you know.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.