Home Forums Ancients The Sea Peoples identified

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  zippyfusenet 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Excuse me for “doing a Tango” but I know some of us are interested:

http://www.9news.com.au/technology/2017/10/11/14/02/who-were-the-sea-peoples-hieroglyphic-inscription-turkey-solves-ancient-mystery

Not a total surprise but this should spark some informed debate.

donald

Mike Headden
    Mike Headden
    Participant

Interesting article, thanks for that.

Would like to see a more scholarly review of the evidence but anything that throws light onto the period is a good thing, IMHO.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Ooh. Very nice, yes.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

zippyfusenet
    Participant

Big ‘like’. Fascinating. Thanks a lot.

I’d be very interested to see the translation of the full inscription. I don’t know much about bronze age Arzawa, except for some brief mentions in the Hittite archives. I’d like to know how much of Arzawa’s history we have recovered, especially Arzawa’s relations with Wilusa, Ahhiyawa, Crete/Kaphtor and other societies to the west.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

durecellrabbit
    durecellrabbit
    Participant

I was also interested in finding out more information so I went to look at r/askhistorians to see if there was anything about it there. Someone had already asked how accurate it was and one of the flaired users on Late Bronze Ages had posted about it on r/history here.

The summary is it might be true but there is good reason to be sceptical.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

They could easily just be part of what happened. Lots of wars, collapses, migrations and natural disasters happening at this time. But this definitely looks to me like part of the jigsaw puzzle!

I see Sea Peoples!

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

They could easily just be part of what happened. Lots of wars, collapses, migrations and natural disasters happening at this time. But this definitely looks to me like part of the jigsaw puzzle! I see Sea Peoples!

I would think so. There’s evidence of climate change at this time too. The proverbial “perfect storm” that destroyed the Bronze Age civilisation in that area.

donald

zippyfusenet
    Participant
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.