Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Tranquil Stars – Horizon Wars

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Satomi is a planet in a system long contested by the UCS and Collective. The seemingly eternal war continues. Satomi has not been ravaged by war, but in an effort to remove a few systems from UCS forces to create a buffer zone, the Collective have decided that now is the time for Satomi to fall…

Participant

http://inexperiencedmodelmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/satomi-part-1-horizon-wars-aar.html

The cold war had lasted 50 years. The first war for independence had taken the United Commonwealth of Systems (UCS) by surprise, and the political fallout had been disastrous. There had been so much factional infighting and other small scale rebellions that the decision had been made to let the Collective of Independent Systems exist and just insulate the rest of the Commonwealth from the failure to defeat the Collective rebellion. Since then the UCS had been unable to penetrate the Collective and was unaware of what was going on there. All that could be done was fortify bordering system, and hope for the best.

The town of Wessington Springs on the planet Satomi. It sprung up on a natural hot, underwater spring and became a natural, renewable power supply town. Now, however, it is the chosen point for the reopening of hostilities as the Collective of Independent Systems as they try to move UCS control out of this particular solar system.

UCS forces rush to defend the town as Collective strike elements approach from the east.

Collective Light cavalry and strike mechs speed along the north flank in an effort to circle around Wessington Springs.

UCS infantry and command mech advance being the woods. Experimental mechs advance on the north flank.

Collective command mech and infantry secure the outskirts of town.

Inspired, a strike mech rushes forward and in a stroke of luck, discovers the gods are with him. The enemy mech is completely obliterated in a hail of armour piercing rounds. It looks like there might be a speedy breakthrough for the Collective.

The second strike mech charges into the fray exchanging fire with the remaining UCS mechs.

UCS mechs respond and damage more Collective hardware. The threatened north flank looks like it may hold. The Collective commander is beginning to worry. The potential breakthrough is looking less and less likely.

Rallying, one of the damaged UCS mechs engages in a firefight and destroys the remaining strike mech.

Collective forces engage and destroy a UCS infantry unit. enough to become combat ineffective under a hail of fire from opposing infantry. Things are looking better for the Collective.

Losing the strike mechs was worrying, but the large mechs in the Collective centre are wiping out infantry units, meaning the UCS commander is having to stretch her forces out.

The tactical situation for the UCS continues to deteriorate when light cavalry engages and destroys another mech on the north flank.

Aerial images show the UCS clinging to the edge of Wessington Springs, while Collective forces continue to encircle the town. Intercepted UCS transmissions indicate problems contacting their reserve elements. The Collective commander is currently feeling no need to call on his.

Garrisoned UCS infantry mange to get a bead on some Collective infantry in the open, unleash a hail of fire and completely destroy the unit. If their officer had survived, he would most certainly be facing a courts martial.

In retaliation the light cavalry destroy the final UCS mech on the morth flank and close on the UCS command mech, peppering it with fire, blasting off bits and pieces, damaging it.

Unable to raise the reserves and with only two combat effective infantry units in Wessington, the UCS commander decides to fall back to fight another day.

The cold war was over. The UCS had underestimated the combat prowess of the rebels, and their ability to field large, conventional ground armies.

Wessington Springs sat in Collective hands, the battle for Satomi was underway, and the second independence war had begun.

Participant

A great first fight, I’m glad to see your troops getting some action as well!

Participant

It was good to get them onto the table. We will see where the war goes!

Keymaster

Oooh I missed this.

Sorry.

What is this made from?

Participant

It is the screw top of a baby food pouch that you can get from any supermarket. The round, squat thing is the part you screw off. The chimney is the actual opening of the pouch. I just chopped away as much packaging as possible.

Inspiration: Lars homestead on Tatooine.

Participant

Great write up, photos, minis, and terrain! I am in awe!

Participant

Nice batrep it’s a fun read.

Participant

Not sure I’m supporting the right side. But cheered when the Collective broke through.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more.

Participant

The right side? How many shades of grey do you have?

Participant

More a streak of Black really, hahahahahaha.

For the benefit of the forum that “hahaha” was a cackle, like what Vincent Price does at the end of Michael Jackson’s Thriller.

Participant

The Defense of New Charon pt. 1.

Here are a few shots from the game I had tonight. Horizon Wars. Presence 10 battle. Short and sweet. Full battle report on the blog.

Participant

Tedrion III battle report.

A very bloody battle as the Pan Asian Combine advances up the jungle road to join up with another unit to assault Tedrion City. Will they even make it though? Thanks for reading.

Participant

Great read!  Playing solo can sometimes be tough.  Honestly, I was cheering for the Alliance guys, I like plucky defenders and underdogs!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Great read! Playing solo can sometimes be tough. Honestly, I was cheering for the Alliance guys, I like plucky defenders and underdogs!

I was originally cheering for them, up until they suicided a bunch of infantry against tanks. At that point I had to question their respect for human life.

Participant

At that point I had to question their respect for human life.

Ya, there is that… The way it reads to me though is that they have a real worry about the PAC reaching the city, perhaps there is such worry as the PAC is known for atrocities against civilians?  Would put a bit of a spin on their suicidal charges as more trying to stop the PAC at any and all costs in ordre to save the civies…

Participant

Ya, there is that… The way it reads to me though is that they have a real worry about the PAC reaching the city, perhaps there is such worry as the PAC is known for atrocities against civilians? Would put a bit of a spin on their suicidal charges as more trying to stop the PAC at any and all costs in ordre to save the civies…

The last conflict between these two powers was quite bloody and lasted 15 years. Atrocities were committed by both sides. It was even to the point where the UCS senate intervened to avoid a repetition of the war that ruined Old Earth. This new conflict has potential so spiral out of control, even though the goals are limited in scope.

Participant

That was quite a fight, the infantry was bloody fearless!

I’m ready for more 🙂

Participant

Tedrion III part 2 – Closing the noose

The second installment of the battle for Tedrion III. Can the Pan Asian Combine close the noose around Tedrion City?

Participant

Arrrgh, no!  Not the CO!  The alliance put up a stiff defense, their CO dying like a hero.  Those PAC guys are pretty rough.  I’m betting the fight of the city itself is going to be a meat grinder, and I am looking forwards to reading about it!

Participant

I am desperately trying to make up more buildings to be able to fight out some of the city battle. It is tough though, and good people are dying.

Participant

I’m impressed at the rate you manage to play through these battles, keep them coming 😉

The Alliance but up a good fight, shame about their CO, it feels like that really broke them in the end!

Participant

Here in the UK it is the May half term holiday. So being a teacher I have the week off and have found the time and motivation to throw together some games. Expect a sharp drop off after Monday for a few weeks until the middle of July.

Participant

Certainly kept me busy reading all that. Good stuff, don’t mine if you carry on inspiring me with it 

Participant

I see, good for you!

I’m just happy to see some cool games with an interesting story being played, so thank you 🙂

Participant

Glad I can help, Greg. Us 6mm sci fiers need to stick together.

Participant

I see, good for you! I’m just happy to see some cool games with an interesting story being played, so thank you 🙂

We each go through phases of what is realistic. Like I build far more terrain in the summer when I can leave it drying in the garden.  I paint more during school holidays. And I actually play games when I feel like it. Right now I have a story I want to tell and some cool miniatures to tell it.

Right now you seem to be more in a designing your own miniatures phase, but previously you told some amazing stories that inspired me to try 6mm sci fi.

Participant

I’m hoping to get a few more games in soon, recently I’ve had a few ideas for some mini-campaigns. It’s great fun when you get so into telling a story that you just keep going until it’s finally finished.

I’m humbled that you would find anything I’ve cobbled together inspiring enough to start your 6mm journey 🙂

Participant

Those adventures using Clash on the Fringe showed me that I can probably have games, where the terrain can be completely made up, on a small table, that have a few figures. Not much storage needed. It also showed that I can make stories up to give my games more fluff, which is always fun. I will always be in your debt because of that, due to the absolute hours of enjoyment I have gotten out of painting, collecting, building, thinking, writing stuff for my 6mm world.

Participant

Managed to get a game in with a human for once. It felt weird to be honest. Battle report up on the blog.

Tedrion III part 3 – Airfield

Participant

A bloody fight, sure to be rekindled when the reinforcements arrive. Or when one side gets desperate enough to try again..

Nice write-up, lucky you with a real human opponent for once 🙂

Participant

I have more stories to tell from Tedrion so don’t worry about that. I want to show the city and have street fighting. I just need more buildings.

Participant
    Participant

Very nice, cool idea!

Participant

I haven’t been putting out much by way of Sci Fi painting or wargaming. I have a couple of projects to finish though and hope to over this month. Paternity leave is beckoning.

Participant

Hey that’s not bad at all!

Lacks a little context though (could be a nifty book cover!).

Participant

Defense of New Charon pt. 2 – One Year Later

One Year later some unwanted guests have returned to New Charon. This was a 9 presence engagement and was quick. I also did this on the floor with my wife in the room which is a first for me.

Participant

Hot time in New Charon.  Looks like that battle was a TPK!

Love seeing small minis in action. Imaginative terrain.

Participant

Lovely to see more action again, a real tense fight too!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.