Home Forums Medieval TV Viking aka Lagertha

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Using one of the less outrageous Lagertha outfits I’m having a crack at sculpting a shield maiden. In the original the skirt is soft leather which doesn’t make sense so I have tried to find the look of firmer leather… sort of. All experimental at the moment nothing is fixed and some times as much putty comes off as goes on!

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
    Slowly Over A Low Flame

Keymaster

Impressed!

Looks promising! Spot-on likeness of firm leather.

I’m slightly surprised at the popularity that show has achieved. Struck me as another show in the crowd at first, but I may have to check it out now.

Keymaster

Struck me as another show in the crowd at first, but I may have to check it out now.

I binge watched it all in a few weeks.
    It is what it is, I went in expecting swords and hacking and beards and long ships.
    That is what I got.
    It is violent and bloody and some in cases gratuitously so, a couple of scenes I thought were unpleasant and too much, but each to their own.
    Like so many good series, it is the bond you form with the characters that makes it.

Participant

Looking forward to seeing her when she’s finished!

If you are looking for Viking Shieldmaidens (including Lagertha) I can really recomend the following…

http://badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Shieldmaidens/c/21735084/offset=0&sort=priceAsc

Participant

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments. Did a heap of chain mail last night which isn’t as easy to get right as you would think and started on the pants and boots after a bit of Googling. I think I landed on a good, realistic, option for both though how much is going to be visible once I have the front skirt sections in place is not clear.

I had an armature which wasn’t working as intended and it occurred to me that a female form would fit. So this is just an exercise in sculpting, I’m still learning the in’s and out’s, tricky bit’s, why’s and wherefores, green stuff rules, etc. When your starting out on something new everything is an option, some not as good as others….. Katheryn Winnick is a pretty good option though

…that hair and doing the face is already making me panicky!

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
    Slowly Over A Low Flame

Participant

If it turns out looking anything like Katheryn Winnick then you have done an excellent job.

If you are interested in Female Viking Warriors, but are unsure if the existed IRL, then read this…

A female Viking warrior confirmed by genomics

//Keith

Participant

Any resemblance to the gorgeous Katheryn Winnick will be purely coincidental and dumb luck!

Slowly Over A Low Flame

Participant

If you are interested in Female Viking Warriors, but are unsure if the existed IRL, then read this… A female Viking warrior confirmed by genomics //Keith

It’s also worth reading this blog post in conjunction with that article: http://norseandviking.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/lets-debate-female-viking-warriors-yet.html

The archaeologists have proven that these bones were female and are satisfied that they are the right bones for the grave, so we have one definite Viking woman with a warrior identity. Some of their conclusions/interpretation in the article stretch the evidence they cite a bit much though. They’re not great with the literary evidence, and I think they over-egg the cake with their statement that everyone believes weapons burials are warrior burials. No one sensible has claimed that for decades now. Still, I find it really exciting that this burial, which has been the archetype for male warrior burials for so long, was actually of a woman. I hope they will go back to the other weapons burials that appear to contain women and do genomic studies on those too. I would also like to see them test the bones for evidence of stress associated with training with weapons. That would be really telling. As it stands, it’s not evidence of a caste of shieldmaidens in Viking Age Scandinavia, but it certainly supports the view that some women took up arms as warriors, as opposed to taking up arms in defence of their home which would be something entirely different. Warrior women are mentioned in some of the more fantastic sagas and in the less reliable books of Saxo, and so have largely been discounted as a fact, but this challenges that view. Beyond that, it all gets a bit complicated, given that this person is thought to have come from the east somewhere within the Viking diaspora, and may thus not be representative of mainland Scandinavia, or they may represent one area of Sweden rather than all of Scandinavia, etc. Either way, I’ll be citing it if anyone complains about my Shadowforge Vikings leading the rest of my Viking warband into the fray.

And, more on topic, I look forward to seeing how your sculpt comes out, paintpig. Good luck with realising your very own miniature Katheryn Winnick.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://roderickdale.co.uk/
    https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/

Participant

I would have posted more updates of this project… one problem, as much putty comes off as goes on! I see something, think I can do better, do better and repeat.

Sounds silly but it is the price paid as my ambition and abilities constantly change podium positions. The face has been resculpted 3 times, each time a little better than the last, in fact I have just cut the head off again because I’m quite sure the new tricks I have developed will make an even better head/face. The armour is only just surviving because it would mean major surgery to remove the existing leather, even though I know I could make a vast (in my mind) improvement.

Anyway here are some of the many versions

That’s ‘er in the background ‘nuthah variashun by golleeee

This is the main sculpting job http://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/ye-olde-foote-guards/

Slowly Over A Low Flame

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.