Home Forums General General Warlord Games Pricing

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Another Wargamer 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Another Wargamer
    Participant

Can anyone explain this to me?  Warlord Games list the pagoda for 50 GBP on their UK site, for $82 USD on the US site.  Current exchange rate is 1 GBP = 1.24 USD.  So under the current exchange rate, 50 GBP should be 62.03 USD.

This absolutely makes no sense to me.   Anyone care to help me understand Warlord Games pricing because Warlord Games is about to lose this US customer for good?

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Shipping?
    Import tax?
    Greed?
    Error?
    Price based on exchange rate at the time it was listed?
    Other?

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Yeah, I’d shoot them an email and ask what’s up first.
    There’s usually some reasonable explanation, maybe you can work something out.

If you like 6mm scifi check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

I’d ask Warlord, only they will know their precise reasoning.

I have to say this is not a surprise to UK purchasers of US products either – I have often done the conversion calculations based on current exchange rates and found exactly this discrepancy – UK sterling pound prices were often the same as US dollar prices for imported US products, even when the pound was worth around $2.

Another Wargamer
    Participant

Thank you for your replies everyone.  WG current pricing policy was a surprise to me.  I have ordered from them many times before and didn’t notice.  I dropped them an email a bit ago.  I was looking to purchase 8 items so the exchange rate problem matters a lot.

Luckily after some shopping around, I have found another vendor for the exact same 8 items and frankly, even cheaper than their GBP price.  On top of that, the vendor uses the current exchange rate, and shipping is less than 5 GBP world wide.  Thank goodness.  I like a good ending.  Although I suppose I should wait until my order arrives then say thank goodness for a good ending.

Another Wargamer
    Participant

Update. Kudos to Warlord Games automated inquiry system.  They issued a problem ticket for my inquiry and provided a method for me to track.  Great customer service so far.

Not Connard Sage
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

US/UK prices?

I’ll just leave this here then

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/American-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-H80812.gc

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/left_guitars_detail.asp?stock=12031012580658

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

US/UK prices? I’ll just leave this here then

Why?
    Those are not ‘wargamey’ things…

Not Connard Sage
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

US/UK prices? I’ll just leave this here then

Why? Those are not ‘wargamey’ things…

All American made consumer/luxury goods cost more here. Always have.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Another Wargamer
    Participant

I have only ordered internationally for gaming related items, such as miniatures, terrains, bases… so I was not use to the item cost + import cost + etc being included in the item price passed on to consumer.  Okay, I understand a business prerogative is to make a profit and a consumer chooses the seller.  No problem.  I did end up ordering from a different vendor than Warlord Games for the items I wanted.  In the future, I will closely watch Warlord Games prices on a case by case basis as well as other UK vendors.

Some may view my thinking as odd, but if a UK company were to attend a US convention as a vendor, I would be willing to pay the higher US price at the convention rather than ordering it on-line from another UK  company that is not attending as a vendor.  It’s my way of saying thank you for coming across the pond.

I hope my shipment arrives in the next 14 days.  Kids will be out for spring break holiday so something to do as quality family time.

PatG
    PatG
    Participant

I haven’t ordered from warlord, but I have generally found it cheaper to order from the UK and pay the shipping to Canada rather than buying the same product from a distributor in the much closer US. It seems to be a simple “import markup” to me.

Another Wargamer
    Participant

Hi Pat,

That seems to be the reason.  I agree with you on trying to save money when one can is a good idea, especially on non-essentials.  One of these day, I’m going to try to make it to a Canadian convention.  I’ve seen some pictures posted from various Canadian wargaming conventions on the internet and the games look mighty high quality.   Some day.

Another Wargamer
    Participant

Update.  I was notified by Warlord Games that the exchange rate used on their US website is fixed rather than “live” and suggested I can order from the UK site when advantageous by removing cookies from my computer.

Overall, I would rate Warlord Games customer inquiry system and methodology excellent.  I dropped them an email on the 20th.  The customer inquiry ticket was issued for the problem and an email notification to me within hours with problem tracking capabilities link for me.  Very easy and smooth.  1 day later, I get a friendly email with a concise explanation and helpful suggestions.

Warlord Games did a superb job in problem solving and customer inquiry service.  Very efficient and professional.  I will continue to be their customer.  Kudos to Warlord Games!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Another Wargamer. Reason: spelling error
    Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Warlord Games did a superb job in problem solving and customer inquiry service. Very efficient and professional. I will continue to be their customer. Kudos to Warlord Games!

Great news, alas they have yet to reply to the last two messages I sent.
    Given up now…

Another Wargamer
    Participant

I’m sorry to hear that Angel Barracks.  I hope they reply soon for you.

Since I brought up an issue with a specific company publically, I felt it is only fair to report the outcome regardless of good or bad.  I try to give credit when deservingly earned.

Best wishes to you on your dealing with Warlord Games.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.