Home Forums Nordic Weasel Games Sci-fi / Fantasy Clash on the Fringe – the right game for me?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Skullhamma Skullhamma 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Skullhamma
    Skullhamma
    Participant

I own LOTS of 6mm models of different armies, mostly for Epic. I allready use Laserstorm for mass battles, but I’m looking for something that allows me to play a little bit more 40Kish (2nd Ed), meaning I’d like to have two to three squads of Infantry in APCs, a Dreadnought, some bikes and one or two tanks. I allready bought Clash on the Fringe, but had only little time to read through. I saw that there are other games like “No stars in sight” and I wonder what would suit my needs better. I’d like to have something that plays in 90 to 120 minutes.

The other questions I’d like to ask is, if somebody allready made unit stats for the usual suspects – SM, IG, Eldar, Orks, Tyranids and the like?

Thanks in advance,

Skully

• This topic was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Skullhamma Skullhamma.

Mr. Average
    Participant

If your units are not squad-based yet, I recommend KR-16, which Mike of Angel Barracks has made available for free. A loose game but has a ton of character.

You may also find Rottenlead’s “Grunts” (they spell it with a Z, but I do not 😉 ) is a good one for your purposes.

Skullhamma
    Skullhamma
    Participant

Thanks! Ironically, I also bought Gruntz long ago, but I never managed to play it. Will give it another try, I guess!  🙂

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yeah didn’t realize this was in the NWG part of the forum so I kind of didn’t give a fair answer to what you were asking. I haven’t a lot of experience with CotF but have heard good things – it may be slightly smaller scale than you have in mind but others better placed than I could comment.

jagannath
    Participant

Are your infantry group based? You might find Nordic Weasel’s latest – Squad Hammer – better than Clash on the Fringe in that case. I love Clash on the Fringe though – it’s very much an updated Rogue Trader

Skullhamma
    Skullhamma
    Participant

Thanks to both of you! I will have a closer look on that one, Jagannath. 🙂

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Don’t worry about recommending other people’s stuff if it fits the request 🙂

As suggested, Clash is written specifically to be a Rogue Trader replacement complete with plot tables and random bits.
    It IS aimed at individual figures though, which may not be desirable for 6mm players?

Squad Hammer is easier to “grab random minis and lets have a game” (as hopefully evidenced by the cover) and is more of an open-ended experience. Definitely geared towards beer and pretzels 🙂
    You can also play team bases just fine, the rules don’t really care about that.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

Skullhamma
    Skullhamma
    Participant

I bought Squad Hammer yesterday and tried it out tonight, Ivan. It’s great for my purposes. I have some questions though that I allready sent you per mail. Please keep up the good work!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Skullhamma Skullhamma.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.