Home Forums General General Who wants a job as a wargamer?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Participant

I got the hobby bit but my age may preclude me.

Participant

Interesting, I wonder how much confusion I could cause if I applied given my former employment and civil service pension etc?

Participant

That’s an amazing opportunity.

Participant

I agree Whirlwind – great opportunity and a decent salary – at least to a peasant like me.

Participant

I agree Whirlwind – great opportunity and a decent salary – at least to a peasant like me.

Obviously people have different ideas as to what constitutes a decent salary, but if you consider that HEO is supposedly the rank equivalent of a Major in the Army (NATO OF-3), the lower end of the pay band is about £5,000 a year less than the equivalent grade in MoD (outside London), £23,000 a year less than an actual Major, and has been subject to a pay freeze for over five years.

Against that, DSTL does include some splendid and interesting people, gives opportunities for interesting work, and is unusual among UK organisations in that it still seems to believe in training for its new staff. This post does not seem to insist on a degree, and if, as I imagine, quite a lot of the work will be organising “Connections”, well, the salary does not seem too bad compared to the pittance event organisers seem to get.

Still, I cannot stress too strongly that people with expertise in wargaming, simulation, software development, operational research, French and Russian (to choose a completely random sample of skills) are worthy of the most lavish imaginable emoluments.

All the best,

John.

Participant
    ……. Still, I cannot stress too strongly that people with expertise in wargaming, simulation, software development, operational research, French and Russian (to choose a completely random sample of skills) are worthy of the most lavish imaginable emoluments. All the best, John.
    Worth their Salt you might say?  
    Participant

That reminds me, i was challenged to design a game for Connections 2018, I’d better get my thinking cap on!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.