Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Word Bearers (3mm Epic Armageddon Proxies)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Oh yeah.  With the imminent arrival of the Imperial Army at 3mm scale, I’ve gotten into my typical summertime 40K phase, only to realize I have no bad guys to fight!  Well, that can be fixed easily.  And here we go!

This is the start of a fully-tricked out Terminator detachment for starters.  Four stands of Terminators, two stands of Dreadnoughts.  Since this is the Imperial Civil War I’ll be fighting, known in the barbaric age to follow as the “Horus Heresy,” these guys are still basically just Space Marines.  The true consequences of their defection to the Lovecraftian chaos world won’t become apparent for several thousand years, but make no mistake – they’re evil as all get out.

Here’s their transport taking shape.  Can’t recommend Reaper paints highly enough.  Their foray into PVC plastic is just the worst, in my opinion, but their paint remains first rate.  Clear Color especially helps make bright colors like these reds really stand out.

And there’s also a little modding going on here.  There exists no really good proxy for Assault Marines with those big jump packs, so I made my own.  That’s an Assault detachment on the left, with a Tactical detachment on the right.

And of course, Vindicators, Whirlwinds, and Transpo:

And some armored support:

The Saturnine Hoplites and the Ültra-Marines will have their work cut out for them!

Participant

Off to a great start I feel, the converted assault marines were a nice touch. How did you make those?

Participant

Thanks, Alexander! To make the Assault Marines I used O8 “Venator” armored troopers, and picked the one that seemed like it had the broadest shoulders, and glued little 1/16″ sections of 3/64″ round polystyrene stock to them, tilting it back slightly and setting it right at the notch of the head and shoulder. It sounds nutty but with a good pair of tweezers and some gel-based CA glue it was quite simple, actually. Not at all as crazy as I imagined. And the result is pretty striking, I think!

Participant

great work, the infantry in particular look better than the actual 6mm stuff

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

Thanks man!  They hold way more detail than most people think.

By the way, the Terminator Detachment is complete – all red and silver and ready to Bear the Word.  With a Terminator Captain, this is a full 800pt. detachment, to anchor the force.  I’ll probably add Vindicators, too, which will push it to 900pts.

Participant

Looks great, the labels are really nice too!

Participant

Beautiful stuff, as usual! Almost makes me want to get back into 40k Epic. Almost. 😀

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

“Glad you like them my friend. Smile.”

It’s that rarest of all things for me: a reasonably complete project! The real advantage of 3mm scale is that it’s workable in small bits, which is essential with my insane schedule. These I like much more than I imagined I would. If I go nuts I might add son Microworld demons etc., but I’m not too heavy on that part of the mythos – a genuine Imperial Civil War somehow seems more compelling to me without all the Lovecraftian trappings. Or at least, with them held to a minimum.

Participant

Is that hex terrain I see?

Participant

…maybe.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.