Home Forums Air and Sea Air 6mm WWII aircraft gallery. Reply To: 6mm WWII aircraft gallery.

Dave Crowe
Participant

I took some WIP shots of the process of making the Seaduck because it was a bit of a faff and involved a bit more cutting and filing and greenstuffing than I had originally imagined. Not complaining, I love it really.

So I started out with a Fairchild C-119 Packet from Scotia Grendel. I got 2 of them so I could use one for the Seaduck and add the other one to my WW2 planes collection. But then there was a problem. The C-119 isn’t a Packet at all (that’s a C-82) but a post-war era Flying Boxcar! The C-119 also saw some success in Vietnam as a ground support gunship. But obviously I couldn’t have that (I could, let’s be real here it would’ve been fine and I know, I can have a fictional Disney Seaduck in my WW2 planes but not a 1947 version of a late war obscurity?) but I wanted the proper 1945 WW2 era Fairchild C-82 Packet. So I got to work retrofitting the Flying Boxcar back to the earlier model.

The C-82 had the cockpit up high and further back. So that meant a lot of filing and a good bit of greenstuff remodelling on the front end. The nose is a bit on the long side I think but it’s close enough.

And then the tail end got a bit of a retrofit too adding back the outboard fins and removing some dorsal reinforcements.

Until here we have it at last. A proper crap-like-it-used-to-be Fairchild C-82 Packet.

The Fairchild C-82 Packet was a late war cargo and troop transport rushed into production in 1945 in anticipation of the airlift requirements for the invasion of Japan. In the end only a handful were built and in service when the surrender of Japan was achieved making them a little surplus to requirements. They were also used for paratroop training and as glider tugs and had various civilian cargo and transport operators.

But as expected with a big airframe rushed into production in wartime conditions the old Packet had plenty of problems including poor forward visibility from the cockpit, underpowered engines which when fully loaded could not maintain a level flight if one engine failed, as well as numerable deficiencies in the air frame all of which was addressed in the C-119 redesign which ultimately produced a much more effective aircraft.

So confusion from SG aside the C-119 was none the less a perfectly suitable airframe to form the basis for my Seaduck.

So first off I got the saw out and chopped the wings off the engine nacelles and mounted them a little lower down.

I also began a seemingly endless task of filing the front of the fuselage down to something resembling the right shape and size.

Once the wings were back on and the whole lots secured and smoothed out with plenty of greenstuff I got to work on the underside. That required a full flying boat hull modification and more greenstuff on wire armatures for floats under the wings.

Then finally it was a greenstuff job on the top side, all around the cockpit and the wide flat nose with big headlights (really Disney?) and a rope point too.

Then the tail got the same treatment as the C-82 though really it should’ve had a more rounded tail fin but I was losing the plot by now and just decided enough was enough. It was time to slap a big yellow paint job on it.

So there it is. Pretty happy with the end result on both of these although the Seaduck is maybe a bit bigger than a 1:300 scale Seaduck should be. Doesn’t matter though it’s not like I’m about to start modelling a little Don Karnage and the Sky Pirates to match… Unless…