Home Forums Sponsoring Members Chit Chat Other Hobbys? Reply To: Other Hobbys?

Thorsten Frank
Participant

My wife claims she has a green thumb and likes to purchase strange and exotic plants. And then I guess she grows bored or something and they start to die so I take over until she notices I am doing it and she jumps back in! We tried to have a garden for veggies but there are too many critters around here to make it worthwhile between the bugs, varmints, and outright thieving mammals and birds. And lets not mention the unpredictable North Texas weather (we had 1.5x our yearly rain total for the year in the first 4 months, and barely any drops since! Temps are still in high 90s despite it supposedly being fall)

That sounds quite similarly the thing we´ve ecperienced the last three years here. With temperatures up to 42°C (107°F). Small tip from the permaculture bunch: go native and try ollas. I made great experiences with them.

We might hit it off! We have no idea what we may be getting into, but I do like learning. I did discover that those beasties can get VERY expensive for very odd reasons, and am not quite sure you can actually make a profit from them on a continual basis. Guess we will find out! At least their fiber is useful and quite luxurious!

I hope I can convince my sister to scrap those plans (and I don´t think I will have success with this wish) because of the costs and I know who ends up with the harder part of the work. Having experience with sheeps (that was the hobby of my parents) I know very well how this may be end up (and believe me the sheeps NEVER made any profit in all those years. Quite the contrary)

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda