Home Forums Air and Sea Air Chickenhawks Over New Guinea Reply To: Chickenhawks Over New Guinea

Just Jack
Participant

Okay, well, good, I’m glad you two at least agree with me on the idea that the realistic concept wouldn’t be much fun, we’re making progress ๐Ÿ˜‰
From a ‘survival’ stand point, I’m actually not that worried about it.ย  In the overall scheme of things, my squadrons have actually done better than I was could have hoped, as I expect them largely to perform as the war went.ย  Remember, it’s only May 1942, and the Allies have known nothing but utter defeat in the Pacific up to this point, except for the Battle of the Coral Sea, which was widely applauded as a victory but, in tactical terms could only be considered a defeat (losing lots of aircraft and a fleet carrier to lots of aircraft and a light carrier), and in strategic/operational terms a draw (blunting the Japanese amphibious landing at Port Moresby for the cost of one of its six carriers in the whole world, when the Japanese had eight, I think).

So you might be worried about my squadrons surviving but I’m not.ย  They’re taking their lumps, just like the Allies did at Hong Kong, Singapore, Pearl Harbor, the Philippines, Wake, Guam, DEI, Malaya, etc…), but a time will come, when the odds will even, then tilt in their favor.ย  This New Guinea campaign is going to be rough, probably going to do two seven-fight operations with P-40s, and Midway will be the about the same for the USN as Coral Sea was.ย  Things will look up a bit for my Marines at Guadalcanal when the Japanese will be penalized a bit (as they were in real life, hamstrung by pushing their Zeros all the way from Rabaul), and then life is really going to change when the Hellcats, P-38s, and Corsairs hit the fleet.ย  I’m in this for the long haul ๐Ÿ˜‰

It’s a bit strange that you’ve seen Titanic 13 times, by yourself, especially given the fact your under 40.ย  I worked for a Gunny for awhile who’s favorite thing in the whole world was to come up behind me and do that whiny “Jack, Jack” in Rose’s freezing voice.

And I feel ya, lately I’ve been questioning the meaning of democratcy lately, too ๐Ÿ˜‰ย  And you’re too old to be trying to run six-minute miles, your body doesn’t recover well enough and you’re just pounding your ankles, knees and lower back at this point.ย  It’s not that you couldn’t do it, just that the long term damage and chance of injury owing to the extensive training you (likely) have to do, it’s probably not worth it. Sorry, but ’round here I’m known as the cold voice of reality ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, John, everyone knows you’re an old bastid ๐Ÿ˜‰

V/R,
Jack