Home Forums WWII The missing piece Reply To: The missing piece

Jemima Fawr
Participant

Beautiful job!  I once did nine of the buggers in 15mm, plus two Sherman OPs with the same markings.  I NEVER want to do one again… In fact, I don’t think they’ve ever seen a game!

The markings were for the vessel’s gunnery officer (who would be standing to the rear) to enable him to calculate the difference between the vessel’s bearing and the turrets’ bearing, if that makes any sense… It was also a feature of some warships.

The RMASG Centaurs were handed in on 15th June, but eight of them, plus a Sherman or two then went to a new unit called ‘X’ Bty RA, which was assigned to I Corps AGRA, with the mission of beefing up 6th Airborne Division’s artillery component (6th Airborne also had the two Commando Brigades, plus the Dutch and Belgian Groups under command, so there was a lot of frontage to cover and only one Airborne Light Regiment (75mm Pack).  The 150th Field Regt was also assigned from AGRA).  For reasons I forget, the RA gunners were eventually replaced by RCA and the unit became 1st Composite Centaur Battery RCA.  During Operation PADDLE (the breakout to the Seine) the Canadian gunners worked very closely with 6th Airborne Armoured Recce Regt.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Jemima Fawr.
  • This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Jemima Fawr.

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/