Home Forums WWII Campaign in Greece using Chain of Command #1 Reply To: Campaign in Greece using Chain of Command #1

Just Jack
Participant

Kyote John – Thanks, and I believe it’s a Daimler Armored Car and two Daimler Dingos, which are not correct for the year but is close enough for me!

Norm – Thanks! And yes, I like them very much, they’re 15mm from Crescent Root.

Harry – Thank you Sir, I greatly appreciate it!  Along those lines, I think the best set of batreps I ever did, certainly from a tactical discussion and decision-making standpoint, were the five Eastern Front games I played using IABSM last year.

Darby – Yeah, it sucks to lose named characters like that, particularly such experienced guys.  And yes, after the Knight’s Cross they add Oak Leaves, Diamonds, Swords, purple horseshoes, green clovers… 😉  But I gather those are pretty much out of reach for mere mortals; it seems (and I could be wrong) that those sorts of things are reserved for Generals that take over countries, or dudes that kill 500 tanks or shoot down 500 airplanes.

Thomaston – Yeah, when the Brits plopped those MGs down on Hill 415 I thought there were going to be some real problems, particularly as bunched up as the German infantry were, but the dice just weren’t with them.  My textbook, tactical answer would be that the gunners allowed the Germans to get in too close, didn’t have supporting infantry nearby for protection, and weren’t even properly positioned to be mutually supporting in terms of firing the FPF.  And I wasn’t too concerned with the armored cars; only one had a 2-pdr, the other two just Brens.

Whirlwind John – Do you mean in terms of ‘real’ space or scale space?  Either way, I was playing on a 4’ x 4’ table which, for my purposes would be around 800m x 800m.  So, to the issue above regarding the British machine guns, the Vickers would have been wanting to open fire across the table, where the German infantry could hardly return fire (and was completely in the open, vice having cover afforded by the slope of the hill).

But that’s kind of the trick (in my opinion) for Chain of Command), when to deploy?  The MGs could have gotten on the board earlier, and if things went right (read: activation dice cooperate) they tear the two German rifle platoons  to pieces.  But if things don’t go right they’ve just exposed themselves to the German MGs, mortars, and Stugs, and become neutralized without having accomplished anything.

Certainly my style is the ‘ambush mentality,’ so I’m almost always going to delay deployment in order to allow the attacker to overextend and expose himself, then throw it on the table in one final, desperate ploy to pull off a victory.

It seems the right strategy to me; the Commonwealth forces are outnumbered, outgunned, and relatively immobile (from the standpoint the lord infantry were foot-borne and thus weren’t going to be able to pull off a fighting withdrawal in the face of the Stugs, which really weren’t threatened by the NZ armored cars), so they held out as long as possible then went for it.

The dice just didn’t cooperate 😉

V/R,

Jack