Home Forums Modern 2nd Game of Black Ops Reply To: 2nd Game of Black Ops

Just Jack
Participant

Stephen,

I haven’t looked at Spectre yet, and may not if they keep the price up around $50!  I downloaded the Skirmish Sangin ‘Lite’ version and liked it, but haven’t purchased the full set for some reason.  Well, part of the reason is that I’m not a huge fan of the activation system; I like that they divide it up and better troops act earlier/more often than poor troops, but for me it’s still to formulaic, which is to say, you know what’s happening next.  I know my guy activates in phase 2, 3, and 5, and your guy activates in 3 and 6.  I don’t like rules where I know who’s acting next, I like it mixed up for some friction, and so I think Final Combat/SOF Warrior does it better where a ‘level 4’ dude is going to activate more times per turn than a ‘level 2’ guy, but you don’t know when it will be (due to a chit pull mechanism to determine who’s phase it is).  I’m not familiar with Modern Havok.

Regarding Black Ops, I love the ‘programmed’ sentries and the concept of noise makers (which aren’t just noise, but also alerting activity, such as sprinting or climbing walls, though they missed a real big one with not having something for finding a dead comrade, which I’ve added, and used in the first batrep), I like the randomized activation, and combat is pretty simple with modifiers that makes sense.  There’s not any command and control, per se, with a leader really only standing out as the ‘stud’ of the pack that gets to act more often than everyone else, and it may actually be a little too hard for the defenders to raise the alarm, though I say that after I’ve played two games and the alarm was raised both times before I actually entered the objective building.

I’m a big fan of the original Ambush Alley but, as you mentioned, it’s not really individual-soldier level, it’s element-based, so not what I’m looking for at this level.  I never did any of the RPGs, don’t really know anything about them, so I don’t really have anything to say about them.  I’ve heard of Twilight 2000 and D&D but never played them, never even heard of the others.

V/R,
Jack