Home Forums General General Am I the only hobbyist who simply doesn’t believe in undercoat colours? Reply To: Am I the only hobbyist who simply doesn’t believe in undercoat colours?

Grimheart
Participant

With my relatively amateur painting skills I have over the years tried black, white and gray undercoats/primers. Not sure if they really impacted the final colours enough to notice but they certainly made a difference to the actual painting.

I found black positively horrible to paint over, hard to see details and hard for many colours to cover. Using a white dry brush highlight didn’t really help me. With white I found too much generally showed through, and it made a heavy wash necessary to get in the recesses..

Then I saw a video on using gray for its neutral balance and have not looked back since. I have used a gray basecoat for some years now, sometimes its an actual primer, sometimes its just what ever gray paint I have. It hasn’t seemed to make much different either way as the important thing to me is that I start with a neutral consistent base colour.

Cheers

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!