Home Forums WWII East Front Tank Action—A Sergeant's War playtest in 6mm Reply To: East Front Tank Action—A Sergeant's War playtest in 6mm

Nathaniel Weber
Participant

Thanks for your comments!

@Tim:  Thanks!  I feel that armored vehicles, at least in WWII, have a weird issue of both survivable—you’re always reading about needing multiple hits to take out—but also fragility, with tank units suffering attrition quite rapidly.  So I tried to balance that.  As for the title, thanks! I remember, somewhere, reading a journalist refering to the fighting as ” a sergeant’s war”—it’s always.  I suppose I could just google it, but that would take the mystery away.

@John
: YOu know, every time I have typed out “recovered”, I keep thinking, “I don’t want anyone to think I mean or am confused with actual vehicle recovery.” 🙂 With your comment my concerns were realized and I will change it.

As for concussion—I meant the term more loosely (inaccurately) than literally concussed.  The damage result represents a variety of effects, including crew confusion and casualties.  Damage is more severe in the game than a regular morale check, because it will put the vehicle temporarily out of action and “recovering” from it is more difficult than regular failure of morale.

As for the Cromwell that you mentioned—was it immediately able to fight the moment after that Nebelwerfer hit? Were they in contact with the enemy, or under indirect fire out of direct contact with the enemy? I imagine the dust and smoke alone could have at least “suppressed” the crew (if we using a regular gaming term, to mean that they were momentarily too distracted or otherwise affected to fight for a few moments).

As for the likelihood of a kill vs damage vs morale, if all else is equal:

1  Destroyed

2-3 Damaged (with a better than even chance of abandoning the vehicle later)

4-6 Morale

7+ (caused by modifiers) No effect

I basically wanted damage to be significant, but with an eye toward “if the vehicle is still more or less running, and the crew sticks around, they’re still a threat.”

Thanks for your comment—appreciate it.