Home Forums WWII East Front Tank Action—A Sergeant's War playtest in 6mm Reply To: East Front Tank Action—A Sergeant's War playtest in 6mm

John D Salt
Participant

As for the Cromwell that you mentioned—was it immediately able to fight the moment after that Nebelwerfer hit? Were they in contact with the enemy, or under indirect fire out of direct contact with the enemy? I imagine the dust and smoke alone could have at least “suppressed” the crew (if we using a regular gaming term, to mean that they were momentarily too distracted or otherwise affected to fight for a few moments).

AFAIR it was out of contact, under distant bombardment; and, yes, I certainly think there was a “What the f*** was that?” moment before they carried on as usual.

As for the likelihood of a kill vs damage vs morale, if all else is equal:

1 Destroyed

2-3 Damaged (with a better than even chance of abandoning the vehicle later)

4-6 Morale

7+ (caused by modifiers) No effect

I basically wanted damage to be significant, but with an eye toward “if the vehicle is still more or less running, and the crew sticks around, they’re still a threat.”

I imagine that there would be modifiers either way for the power of the attacking weapon relative to the strength of the armour being attacked. If a typical hit was resolved with a -1 or -2 modifier, then the number of penetrating hits required for a knockout would be quite close to the reported historical average of 1.5.

Is “damaged” a single category, or do you distinguish F-kills, M-kills and other categories?

I’m guessing from your use of 1d6 and the description of the damage probabilities that you are using fairly broad classes of weapon power and armour strength. Might you be kind enough to give an idea of the way these are applied to, say, the typical guns and armour to be found on the Russian Front circa 1943?

All the best,

John.