Home Forums WWII German Infantry in 1940: Tactical Experiences of the Infantry in the West (long) Reply To: German Infantry in 1940: Tactical Experiences of the Infantry in the West (long)

MartinR
Participant

Interesting. I wonder if there is another from Mid-war to see if changes were implemented and what other lessons they learned once the war got going.

I assume the lessons learned apply to principles laid down in Truppenfuhrung published in the late 1930s (translations are available), which covers operations up to divisional size in a range of circumstances including mountain warfare etc.

The only later manual I’ve come across is the misleadingly titled “German Squad Tactics” in the Nafziger series. It does cover the minutiae of platoon level combat (who carries the MG34 etc) but is mainly concerned with company level operations for infantry and armoured panzer Grenadiers. It still assumes a four gruppe platoon with a 50mm mortar section though, even though the infantry section is supposedly from 1942.

As John notes, a lot of this stuff is about march security, recce, the organisation of attack and defence, objectives, boundaries etc. No reference to buglers I’m afraid.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke