Home Forums General Game Design Games With A Tight Focus On A Single Command Level Reply To: Games With A Tight Focus On A Single Command Level

Bandit
Participant

Bob,

Sorry, David, I hadn’t noticed that the thread was about your rules, but, I admit, your ad on every posting should have alerted me.

Why do you need to start our every exchange with some sort of rude or sarcastic statement? I’m not returning your fire, so what drives your need to continue doing so? You have useful things to offer to the conversation as the rest of your post proves – can you not simply dwell on those contributions rather than making sure it is known that you don’t like me very much?

For instance:

The telltale of confusion in this regard is the number of tables and distinct procedures used in play.  As their number grows beyond a half dozen, the chances that the designer is juggling one too many balls is pretty much a sure thing.

I concur with this. I believe that it a demonstration of refinement to a core procedure that can be used across several areas. With small variation I believe we can have mechanics for different events that are very similar while reflecting the different thing being done by each. I also believe that charts can be severely reduced in many cases by a tight refinement of modifiers and a unified layout.

A big addition to the learning curve of players is that command & control use a distinct mechanic that has nothing to do with that used for movement, for combat, for artillery, for skirmishing, for mêlée, for etc… etc… and I think that is easier to design but less useful and more complex than necessary. Even the layout of charts is a point that can be better accomplished – “How do I read this chart as it is different than the last one?” Is an unnecessary question caused by – in most cases, not all – a lack of refinement.

Back to the topic of the thread though – as Bill and I previously exchanged about above. There are likely no games that are purely a single command level, but there are games that are more so than others. Such games appear to be more rare. There is also a big difference between the design intent evident in the rules and the way the game can be played. I posted some examples above, I’d be interested in your thoughts on that part of the conversation.