Home Forums WWII Modelling Tank vs. Tank Skirmish Combat Reply To: Modelling Tank vs. Tank Skirmish Combat

Rod Robertson
Participant

The War Panda:

“My worry Rod is there’s already going to be a +1 for moving into position…will a tank want to risk it at all. And perhaps thats the point….wasn’t that the case in reality anyway.”

If I understand the system then high morale/experience units have a better chance to hit than units at lower levels. This means that the tactic of closing in on and firing at an enemy tank is easier for a highly rated unit and far more difficult for lower rated units. This will simulate the aggressive tactics of high morale units and force lower morale units to fight more clumsily or defensively or to gang up on enemy tanks. So, yes I think that the additional +1 to hit for starting out of sight of the target is valid.

As to Just Jack’s point about stationary targets, I agree that a -1 to hit modifier should be applied after the later rounds of firing so long as both the target and the firer remain stationary. This should not be comulative but a single -1 modifier no matter how long the two stationary targets blast away at each other. This should take effect on the second turn of the gun duel so you get a progression of  +1 or +2 then +0 then -1 as the duel develops.

I also think that anytime a tank takes a hit from a large gun (auto-cannons and up which have a chance of penetrating the armour/killing the tank) then the crew of the hit tank should have to take a morale check to avoid panic. Failed morale checks could trigger a use of defensive smoke, a “bug out” move, crew paralysis, or a partial or complete bail out, etc. this would also favour the better trained/experienced/motivated crew and make them more aggressive.

Cheers.

Rod Robertson