Home Forums Modern FiveCore Brigade Commander Reply To: FiveCore Brigade Commander

Quaker

I think the standard 5core activation system works fine for the skirmish level, but at Brigade I wouldn’t mind some C&C friction issues. So I am thinking of trying the following:

Battalion Command

Instead of activating companies normally you can spend an activation on a battalion. Each company in the nominated battalion rolls a quality check on 1d6 and if they pass (4+ for normal troops, 5+ for crummy Soviets) they can act as if activated.

Quantity has a quality all of its own

Some armies train to fight in bigger formations than is normal (ie Soviets). To reflect this when such a brigade uses battalion activations they can elect to skip rolling quality checks and partially activate the whole battalion (each company in the battalion must be within 4 inches of another company in the battalion). Such a partially activated battalion can choose to move (and assault) or shoot, but not both. Perform each action by individual company. When moving the whole battalion must move in roughly the same direction and each company must end the move within 4 inches of another company in the battalion. When assaulting each company must assault either the same target as that assaulted by the first company or an enemy company within 4 inches of the first target. When shooting each company must shoot either the same target as that shot by the first company or an enemy company within 4 inches of the first target.

With a 4+ quality check and a three company battalion there is a 12.5% chance of zero activations, a 37.5% chance of one activation, a 37.5% of two activations, and a 12.5% chance of three activations. With a 5+ quality check and a three company battalion there is a 30% chance of zero activations, a 44% chance of one activation, a 22% chance of two activations, and a 3% chance of three activations.