Home Forums Modern 1/600 Blue Army for 5Core Brigade Commander Reply To: 1/600 Blue Army for 5Core Brigade Commander

Thaddeus Blanchette
Participant

The Krasnynorad brigade was finished today: a regiment of tanks and one of infantry.

The old bases looked prettier on an individual level, but not as nice en masse, I think. One needs to be very careful, in 3mm scale, to not make the bases too noisy or the tanks — and especially the infantry and small vehicles — are overwhelmed.

Simple is the way to go, for me at least. I may toss some dull green static grass on these bases, though. we’ll see.

with regards to rules, what I like about Fivecore is that they are simple and fast. For more detail, I would go with Cold War Commander rather than Fistfull of TOWs. I have both, but really appreciate  CWC. It’s is a matter of taste, however, I think I’d go with Modern Spearhead before FFoTs.

Yes, Ivan, you do need to change techniques painting and basing these little guys. As much as I love PhD Leadhead’s work, for example (and I really do), I think it is a good example of what happens when you paint and base too realistically: at arm’s length, what you basically see is dark squares. Of course, he thinks my stuff sometimes looks like circus wagons, so we’re even. 🙂

But I say base simple and base against paint scheme, as radically as you dare. It might not look snazzy close up, but at arm’s length, it looks better.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!