Home Forums General General Welcome to the General Forum Reply To: Welcome to the General Forum

Participant

Hi, Arteis here (otherwise known as Roly Hermans).

I’ve been wargaming since my teens, though, like many middle-aged wargamers, I had a long gap in the hobby while family and work pressures interceded for many years.

I’m easily dazzled by shiny things, so for me the look of the wargame is everything. Scenery, figures, even the rules book – the better they look, the happier I am. So I’m first and foremost an aesthetic gamer.

And I make no apologies for my unabashed bias towards gaming the fascinating horse-and-musket era in full glorious 28mm, whether the stately and mannered formations of the 18th century, the panache and panoply of  the  Napoleonic  period, or the rough and ready bush-fighting of the colonial New Zealand Wars.

My other hobby in recent years has been family history.  With my family originating in the Netherlands, this has proved a challenging but very interesting project.  It also links with my wargaming hobby, as several of my ancestors were in the military.

Roly (aka ‘Arteis’)
Paraparaumu, New Zealand

My Dressing The Lines blog

Visit my ‘Dressing The Lines’ blog: http://arteis.wordpress.com/