Home Forums General General Is Wargaming Dying in the US? Reply To: Is Wargaming Dying in the US?

irishserb
Participant

Wargaming dying?

I’m in the US Midwest, and my impression is that the hobby just grows, and has done so continuously since the late 1970s.  I have encountered observations, concerns, and outright fears over the years, that the hobby is dying, but I think that mostly as it grows, it evolves, and that the evolution is often mistaken for dying as the market and community change from what we come to know or expect at any given time.

I still see plenty of the “old” stuff that I saw in the late 1970s and early 1980s, more of it now than then actually.  But the scope of “the hobby”  (whatever that means) has grown tremendously, so the old or classic hobby subjects make up a smaller proportion of the overall “population”.

Overall, I find a lot more of everything today, more gamers, games, rules, miniatures, conventions, shops, etc.  Maybe it is a function of population density, and where I live, but there just seems to be more.  I also find that the accomplishments of the more extreme and/or talented of us push the limits of creativity, art and passion farther than ever before.  But with so many games that are ready off of the shelf, or otherwise require less time and maybe personal investment, there is more to sort through to find the portion of the hobby that feeds each of us individually.

The social infrastructure of the community has changed a lot, mostly due to the internet.  Communication is easy now.  Heck, everything about the hobby is easy now, compared the 35 or even 15 years ago.  Clubs, organizations, newsletters, magazines, etc. are to varying degrees obsolete, or at least not as important now.

I game less, game with fewer people, and go to fewer shops and conventions than I did 20-30 years ago, but now have more gaming contact, than I did then.  And if I find time, I have the ability to game more and have far more diverse and  direct contact through the local shops, groups, clubs, and bigger and more dynamic conventions, than I did all those years ago.

Maybe I’m wrong, or my experience isn’t typical, but I have the opposite view.  From my vantage point, there seems to be more of everything wargaming than ever before.  More artistic, more creative, more imaginative, and more numerous, even within just the scope of what I would call classic wargaming subjects.