Home Forums Modern Team Whiskey – Fulda Gap Batrep 2 Reply To: Team Whiskey – Fulda Gap Batrep 2

Just Jack
Participant

Thanks guys, I appreciate it, and no Kyote, no arty for you.  If you do your job, Team Whiskey may get to have air support in the future though 😉

Si – There’s actually two answers/issues here: first up, to answer your question directly, the scenario book does not get into that kind of detail  The scenario book says something like this:
1 x Platoon Commander w/APC or IFV
4 x Rifle Team (with 2 x LAW each)
4 x APC or IFV

It’s written that way to take advantage of whatever it is you have to hand, to be able to play in any era (1950s to the fall of the Wall), and to vaguely ‘fit’ with the roughly 18,000 changes to every nation’s tables of organization during that 40-some odd year period.  Furthermore, it’s not strictly built around T/Os; the author and I share a view of ‘paper strength’ vs ‘battlefield strength,’ simply meaning, the forces in the scenario list are what you have.  If that means, given your toys, your period of play, and the appropriate T/O&E for that nation and period, that it’s one platoon of five vehicles, or one platoon has sent in three vehicles and another platoon sent in two, that’s what you have.  It doesn’t say why this happened, i.e., it doesn’t state “3rd Platoon suffered two mechanical breakdowns on the way from the assembly area, which is why they don’t have ‘x’ amount of vehicles in accordance with the ‘yz’ T/O&E,’ it just says you have (in this case) five vehicles. 

I’m playing with M-1s and M-3 Bradleys, so that’s what my force in the scenario became.  I, personally, like to build a force (roster) and follow characters throughout the campaign, but that’s not how the book is written.  The book is written to generally be following 11th ACR, but then it moves (as they get worn out) to 3rd Armored Division and even NATO partners.  To show what I’m talking about, the fourth scenario has a couple guys left over from 11th ACR, reinforced by 3rd AD, then later being reinforced by Leopard IIs from a West German Panzer Division (forgive me, I’m doing all this off memory). 

Ultimately, the book is written with orbats that make conventional sense, provide play balance, and allow you (the player) to do what you want, which is perfect for me.

The second element of the answer is this: one, as I noted above, I’m varying from the scenario book in that I’m trying to follow a single, fictional, US Mech-Heavy battalion task force (“Team Whiskey”).  So, in scenario four, it won’t be West German tanks coming to the rescue, it will be a tank platoon from Charlie Company of Team Whiskey.  I’m taking a lot of liberties with TO&E to make it fit with my storyline, and I justify that mostly via 1) task organization via cross attachment, for Soviet and US, 2) units being less than full strength due to mechanical, combat losses, and/or other duties (somebody’s gotta pull flank guard, etc…), and 3) pure flim-flam.

What I mean by ‘pure flim-flam’ is this (and has nothing to do with the scenario book, this is all me).  The book’s first few scenarios are heavily into 11th ACR, less so by the end of the book, in which case 11th ACR has been ground into dust.  But I wanted to a follow a single unit through all ten scenarios, and I needed a parent unit, so I chose 11th ACR, since that is the unit the book starts with.  But I didn’t really want to play a cavalry troop, so I made up a fictional ‘4th Troop,’ and I made it a rather conventional Mech-Heavy battalion task force.  So, I basically have ‘regular’ mech grunts and ‘regular’ tankers, but I’m still referring to it as a troop, and I’m even still calling the Brads M3s, when, with my task force, they should be M2s.  On a side note, I also went with M3s because my understanding is that the ACRs received their M3 Bradleys long before the ‘regular’ mech units received their M2 Bradleys, and I didn’t want my infantry in M-113s.

So, to answer your question about 19Ds vs 11Bs, I don’t really have an answer.  The ACR Troops should be stocked full of 19Ds, as well as Air Defense guys, machine gunners, AT gunners, etc…  From what I understand, it actually created a lot of problems for unit commanders, having so many different MOSs in the same, small units.  Additionally, from friends I have that were Cav Scouts, they always told me that there were never enough of them in training, but that in real live they expected to have their numbers bolstered by all the rear-echelon types, not only from their regiment, but also from higher-echelon HQ and logistics units.  Who knows what would have really happened.

In any case, in my scenarios, I’m treating them basically as 11Bs, though the book, and my rules, don’t really get into that level of detail.  The book, and the rules I use (5Core Company Command) are extremely flexible, not bothering so much with actual number of troops, but rather their capability in terms of what you as the player assign them regarding staying power and firepower.  You’ve probably noted in my batreps that I freely move between squads and fireteams (and sometimes even make mistakes in my nomenclature); in the first fight, each rifle stand was a fireteam.  In the second fight, each stand was a squad.

I hope that answers your question; if not, please let me know and I’ll take my best shot.

V/R,
Jack