Home Forums Medieval Well colour me Norman Reply To: Well colour me Norman

paintpig
Participant

Paintpig:

Those are lovely Norman foot and knights you have painted there. I really like the skin tones and shadowing that you have created on the faces. Beautiful work that, so well done. Also as others have pointed out fine shields and armour/helmets. Thank you for posting these and please post more. I can learn a lot from studying your work.

Cheers Rod, not so brilliant but they will do. I didn’t have any contemporaries to learn painting from but I did study what I saw in the magazines (MW and Mil Mod in those days) and although I didn’t know exactly how the painters did it I had the images engraved in my mind, so when I lucked across something that gave the right outcome I knew straight away what was going on, so I heartily recommend your approach. Unfortunately I still experiment every time I sit down to paint which slows me down and is a bit of a pain, but I just cant help myself.

The faces here are a very basic technique which gives a good outcome without tons of layering or jiggery pokery, it really is dead simple. I will take some photos next time and try and write a short tute to accompany them.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
Slowly Over A Low Flame