Home Forums Ancients Ancient Wargaming and Terrain (or lack of it) Reply To: Ancient Wargaming and Terrain (or lack of it)

Oh no….
Participant

If we play a classical battle, we have the classical terrain but as we don’t often fight classical battles we use terrain that looks good and is a bit more interesting. Its not a case of testing gamers memories or interpretation of a rule set or looking for some kind of wonderful revelation, we game for the fun and enjoyment we get out of the game. We all like to win, or be on the winning side, but its not the be all and end all of why we play.

Chess is an interesting game but doesn’t have the visual effect of a table full of figure, which is why I wargame rather than play chess every week.

It depends on where in the world your battle is set and also the period as to how much terrain is right, as well as personal preference.

I didn’t realise it was so dangerous to stray from the recommended sparse terrain, the thought had never occurred to me. I layout terrain that I am happy with, I certainly don’t need to justify it to anyone. Symmetrical terrain is just so false, can’t think of any battles, classical or otherwise with symmetrical terrain.

Note; The “we” referred to above are the local gamers that play regularly together for fun over a few bottles of beer. Only one ever takes part in competition gaming.