Home Forums WWII Organisation of Pz III and IVs in Panzer Regiments? Reply To: Organisation of Pz III and IVs in Panzer Regiments?

I would presume that it would be similar to the earlier mix with tanks concentrated by type into companies (presumably to ease the resupply of ammunition and spares) and types of companies divided as equally as possible between battalions. Certainly, all of the orbats I’ve seen showing the composition of two battalion regiments show the breakdown of one battalion and a note saying ‘same as other battalion’ on the other. Unfortunately the latest I have is for May 42, and for the desert at that.

Having said that, earlier in the war (DAK 41), when the mix was Mk IIs, IIIs & IVs all of the III and IV companies had a platoon of Mk IIs. As soon as the IIs were lost (they were not replaced) they became companies solely of either IIIs or IVs mixed two to one in each battalion. The IIs, BTW, were used to screen flanks whilst they lasted (not long).

However it was done, from earlier form, it is probable that both battalions would be relatively equal in hitting power.

It’s not what you want, but I hope it helps.

My whoring and daubing:
http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/