Home Forums General General Sexism in Rules? Reply To: Sexism in Rules?

Rhoderic
Participant

I am not trying to anger anyone here, but underlining this discussion is the presumption that writing public documents should be gender neutral. Why is that? I can understand that from a marketing stand point, a rules writer might want to make their product welcoming and accessible to the widest spectrum of the population possible. But that is their choice and if they choose to write in a gender specific style, why should they be citricised for making a different choice? A preponderance of table top gamers are still male I believe, are they not? That domination may be changing as more women and transgender players come into the hobby and that’s great for the hobby. Smart rules writers will see this trend and act accordingly to make their products as attractive as possible to this growing demographic. But that too is a choice, as valid as choosing a more traditional writing style. Why should more traditional writers be criticised for exercising their freedom of expression and for clinging to what is a comfortable writing style for them, even if it viewed by some as outmoded and passé? What is so bad about the words man, men, he, his, etc. that some think they must be expunged from rule sets and others see the need for a quota system to balance the his/hers/other frequency. Rules writers are not part of a grand social engineering project and should not be conscripted into such a role unless they wish to do so. There is a long-standing tradition in our shared western values to safe-guard the freedom of expression. There is no long-standing tradition to grant freedom from being offended by what others write. If an author writes in a style which offends others the author will pay a price in popularity and profits from their writing. Why is it necessary to add more penalty in the form of public scorn or censor?

Yes, but we as members of the market have every right to speak critically of the wares that are being hawked to us, and to voice our criteria as to what we’re after in a transaction. If an author of a book wishes to disregard a certain segment of their potential customer base, then that’s fair as well, but no has claimed otherwise.

Also, to publish is to assert statements. People are allowed to talk back to that, as Delaney from the King’s Minis blog did.