Home Forums WWII 3mm WWII Brits and Germans for Operation Jupiter Reply To: 3mm WWII Brits and Germans for Operation Jupiter

Most of your problems with painting and recognition, Rod, come from using (or seeing people use) incorrect painting techniques.

Unfortunately, as much as I like Just Jack’s stuff, it seems to me that he’s still feeling his way into painting this scale correctly. You really need to unlearn a lot of old habits to do it right.

There are two key rules you need to follow:

1) Base against paint scheme;

2) Paint bright, highlight brighter. There’s little surface space on these figures, so everything has to be color saturated.

Jack violates Rule One with the basing for his German Army. He should’ve gone darker. And Rule Two shows up in the Achilles. He highlighted them with white or grey which makes them look too chalky. I think he should’ve tried the base color mixed with yellow as a highlight.

There’s also a third rule: less is more when it comes to basing. You need to use a really fine flock and not much of it. Flock, at this scale, can induce too much noise into the figure. You might want to base with a Vallejo very fine grit paste — and only a light brushing of it, too — and just do a single base color, followed by a lighter tone drybrush.

I am still getting basing correct, by the way. The figs shown here are from 2012 and 2014, respectively. But even here, you can see what I mean.

The tanks and infantry are green, highlighted with brighter (not lighter) green. They are based on papaya-colored bases flocked with a bit of fine yellow flock and really light straw static grass. These bases are probably “too busy” but they are contra-color enough to literally make the figures shine.

The Austrians were originally based dark green, but that didn’t look good, even though it highlighted the figs. When in doubt in this scale, go light on the bases as the larger amount of light reflecting upwards on the figs, the better. So here the bases are almost certainly too busy, but again, they are very light colored, so they don’t distract the eye too much.

Here is my tumblr account, dedicated to God’s True Scale (because God plays exclusively in 1/600, with brief forays to 1/300). You can see some excellent examples of counter color basing and bright painting here:

http://godstruescale.tumblr.com

And here’s four WWII basing solutions. All are acceptable, but I am sure you will agree that my original ideas — the first two rows, counting up from the bottom — are far too busy and distracting.

The T-34s are the best of the lot, and I even put some small labels on the back of the bases — as many people do in almost all other scales — to aid in identification. Today, if I were to redo the Germans, I’d add some patches of very light green fine flock.

So yeah, Rod, I agree. If you try painting 3mm figs like 15mm figs — or even 6mm figs — you won’t be able to recognize the bren gun carriers. Look at the ones in the lower right: just sort of blend into the base, don’t they? But I am sure you can recognize the others at an arm’s distance, even the “busy” stugs. Here’s a better picture of them:

And that brings up one final point. Because you can play what would normally be a 6×4 foot game on a 3×2 foot table, you re usually looking at these figures at half the distance you’d normally be eyeing them at.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!