Home Forums Horse and Musket General Horse and Musket 1859, 1864, 1866 and 1870 Reply To: 1859, 1864, 1866 and 1870

John
Participant

It’s difficult period to write rules for. The ever changing weapons means you can’t simply have a base rules set which covers all. Even Bruce Weigle’s (have I spelt that right?) excellent 1870, 1859 and 1866 rules have to be tweaked to cover it. If you’re looking for corps-level command, which I believe to be the optimum level or playing considering the mass scale of battle that took place, then the 1870 derivative rules are one the best around. At regimental level, the Baccus Commandant De Bataille is probably best for the scale. Otherwise, Fire and Fury variants would probably do the Job.

Scale wise, I’d stick with the smaller scales (2-15mm), as even just reading the pages on wikipedia show how big the scale is. I have no idea about 10’s and 15’s, but in 6mm Heroic’s and Ros have an adaptable Franco-Prussian and ACW Range, while Baccus has it’s own war-specific range.

Link to Bruce Weigle’s website 

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by John.

To model the effect of Nuclear weapons on the wargaming table, apply jerry can of fuel to board, light match and stand well back.