Home Forums WWII British and German Infantry in Normandy: Organization for WRG 1925-1950 rules Reply To: British and German Infantry in Normandy: Organization for WRG 1925-1950 rules

Allen Curtis
Participant

The 1973 edition had no army lists included, nor an accompanying army list volume.  The 1988 edition contained army lists, but I don’t have that edition.   An unofficial volume of army lists to cover both Newbury (Cambrai to Sinai) and WRG was published independently.

For Normandy, you’re going to have to make some choices.  The British motor section was authorized only eight men, compared to the rifle section’s ten, and of the eight, one was the section’s driver who remained with the vehicle.  You can choose to portray it short-handed with a rifle base and a Bren base (5 WRG points each); this is similar but not as radical as what Flames of War does in chopping the motor section down to a single MG/Rifle team of four or five men.  Or you can portray it over-strength with two rifle bases and a Bren base for 5 points more (not that points need matter, except as a rough cut, but you’ll have to decide), the same as a rifle section.  This is what I do (using FoW basing) for FoW (screw ’em!) and IABSM, mainly because IABSM’s own lists (which assume an integral LMG per section) do not differentiate in strength between motor and rifle sections.  I can always leave out one rifle base, if that seems more appropriate for the game, and you could too!

The German panzergrenadier squad by this time had been reduced to ten men, but two were the halftrack crew (assuming a gepanzerte unit).  So the best way to portray the eight dismounts might be one rifle base and two MG-34/42 bases, totaling 15 points.  If you need to represent a depleted unit, I suppose one LMG need not be dismounted from the vehicle, and you could go with one rifle and one LMG base.  The motorized panzergrenadier squad was still twelve men, with one driver remaining with the vehicle, so the dismounts still work with one rifle and two LMG bases, or you could stretch it with one man over-strength to two rifle and two LMG bases.

Don’t feel bad about rounding.  Keep in mind that the WRG bases don’t necessarily fit actual organization any better than other rules which use set “teams” or “bases”.  For example, in a British rifle squad, the Bren group should actually consume three men, including the assistant section leader, leaving only seven for the rifle group.  So we bend things just a little–and remember that full-strength units were often the exception rather than the rule.

As always, the best breakdown of small unit organization is Gary Kennedy’s Bayonet Strength site:

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/

Allen