Home Forums WWII Lacquered Coffins (WW2 Air Combat) Released Reply To: Lacquered Coffins (WW2 Air Combat) Released

Don Glewwe
Participant

I’d love for this to be in the “Air” section of the site, but…

The ‘pilot check’ for attacks seems to avoid the specific ‘point and shoot’ requirement of pretty much every other game.  Why keep the protractor/tape-measure time-consuming step?  Why make players move the little models to align with their targets?  What purpose does it serve?

Seriously.  What purpose does it serve?

Apologies for the snark, but the ‘What new thing does this bring?’ question on the site-which-shall-not-be-named prompted my response.

A game designer asks players to do certain things.  I don’t think it unreasonable to ask why I -as a player- should take up gameplay time to do these things.  Take time to point my little model at my target’s model?  Okay.  Why?

As to altitude represented by dice/markers: I agree that stands are a hurdle for the genre, but equate it to tablespace for ground games.  What would be the reception of an ‘easy entry’ Napoleonic set of rules that had forces lined up on the edges of a 1’x6′ board that used dice/markers to indicate how far each unit had moved into the imaginary center of the table?

PS- preliminary apologies for breaking the Wheaton Rule.

https://brawlfactory.net/