Home Forums WWII Lacquered Coffins (WW2 Air Combat) Released Reply To: Lacquered Coffins (WW2 Air Combat) Released

zippyfusenet
Participant

The indication of those differences can be done in many ways (dice on a stand – be it a Wellington bomber or a Wellington command) but there is no reason to presume that one method of location is any better than another simply because a different dimension is involved.

M’kay, so you don’t think analog representation of altitude by physically moving model airplanes up and down is necessarily superior to displaying altitude on a dice or dial. I have a funny story for you. You will laugh.

I played in a CY6! game last weekend where altitude was displayed by dice sitting on the flight stands. Scanning the game table, I could intuitively see in my mind’s eye the relative altitudes of the models by reading the dice displays. Some of the other players couldn’t seem to see it. I pointed out several times, “No, you have no shot because there’s too much altitude difference between these planes.” I could *see* intuitively, that those planes with 3 displayed on their dice were way low compared to most of the models, displaying 5, and a few up higher displaying 6. I suppose the reason is that I have a lot of experience playing airwar games where altitude is symbolically displayed, instead of being physically represented, and some of the other players had less experience.

Furthermore, those players initially weren’t maneuvering in the vertical dimension, maybe because they couldn’t see it. When I power-dived two altitude levels to get out of a tight spot, it caught them flat-footed. It always does. Then, when I Immelmanned back up at them, they were shocked again. Once I had demonstrated vertical maneuver, the other players started doing it too. Again, I often see this happen in CY6! games.

This syndrome plays into that hobby horse that you’ve seen me ride before, that wargaming is a theater of the mind exercise, that it requires a convincing illusion of verisimilitude, so that the players can willingly suspend disbelief and enter emotionally into the drama of the action.

Different theaters have used different methods to achieve the convincing illusion. Audiences become accustomed to the local methods, and feel that they’re natural, when they’re really very unnatural and stylized. The classical Greeks put masks on their actors, and had them speak their lines through megaphones. Their audiences were convinced. Shakespeare used stage costumes and make-up, and wrote the actors’ lines in verse. His audiences were convinced. Many pre-technical vernacular theaters used puppets instead of live actors. Today high-tech video is ubiquitous.

Through long usage, dice displaying altitude present a convincing illusion to me. I can *see* the display in my mind’s eye, and enter into the drama. Some of the other players in that game could not.

Hunh.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by zippyfusenet.
  • This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by zippyfusenet.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!