Home Forums Air and Sea Air Lacquered Coffins (WW2 Air Combat) Released Reply To: Lacquered Coffins (WW2 Air Combat) Released

Don Glewwe
Participant

First off: Kudos to Tom (I hope I got that correct?) for engaging in a polite manner, even when the others (umm…that’s me) don’t do so well in that regard.

Seriously folks: Behavior like this (Tom’s) should be applauded, especially when it comes in the face of the sort of internet behavior that we have come to cringe at (…that would be mine).  I ask that you take a moment to appreciate it.

Then (of course) I plunge back in (with, I hope, is a degree of civility that is better than that which I have demonstrated)…

Why use gametime/player energy to point the model at another model when the ‘pilot check’ and ‘evasion’ devices (from the “Dogfight!” paradigm) serve to determine both the quality of the pilot’s ability to maneuver into a firing position as well as the resultant effect of the shot? It is, bluntly, an unnecessary and time-consuming step that represents…what?

I felt turning was important in an air combat game, so I didn’t devise some kind of system that forgoes turning. I feel its an important part of air combat, as important as speed and altitude.

Where my question comes in is in why turning (which means what, exactly in a 3d environment?)  differentiates itself from all the other maneuvers that a pilot may make?  I can understand how a player may feel regarding this, but don’t see the difference a pilot may make.

This is the key: Is the audience players, or players wanting to be pilots?

You’ve taken the manipulation of the aircraft (to achieve a firing position on another aircraft) and made it into both a player-dependant physical skill and a dice roll.  Why?   Really: Why?

Hopefully that Explains why physically turning the aircraft and having facings is important in these systems.

Nope.  nothing.  nada.  nyet.

You’ve got your work ahead of you.

PS- I’m not completely against the means.  Mike Clinton’s “Check Your Six!” (highly recommended) are rules that still rely on the (undefended) point-and-shoot mechanic, but which I am still a fan of (the rules, not the mechanic).  What I’m seeking is a reason to accept your game-designer-choice to use the ‘point and shoot’ mechanic.  So far…

https://brawlfactory.net/