Home Forums Air and Sea Air Lacquered Coffins (WW2 Air Combat) Released Reply To: Lacquered Coffins (WW2 Air Combat) Released

Don Glewwe
Participant

The player in this game functions almost like an airbase commander. They decide what kind of aircraft to send, which pilots to send in, and the ordnance required – all depending on the mission. Once the game starts, the player exhibits far more control in the micro/tactical area than a real commander on the ground would, but in the end this is a game and I want to be able to push aircraft around the table and have them go where I want them to go, so overlooking realism in the command/control area is ok by me in favor of gameplay. The player acts as the commander and also as a referee or gamemaster for their own side – moving the aircraft where they think the pilots would move them.

Agree (with caveats ).  Multi-aircraft games are a struggle for the genre (especially in WW1, but applicable in WW2 when you consider how much time a pilot spends on listening to the radio in the middle of a furball) and I have no problem with game designers making efforts to address this issue (though I could go round-and-round with someone who advocates that a soldier in a squad/platoon/company automatically carries out an order, but that’s another can of worms) but have a serious issue with anyone who thinks that allowing players to control the specific turning/facing/position of the units on the tabletop is residing on a valid position.

Thus we come back to:

I felt turning was important in an air combat game, so I didn’t devise some kind of system that forgoes turning. I feel its an important part of air combat, as important as speed and altitude.

Why is turning the aircraft a special maneuver, insofar as you call it out as a separate function to be controlled by the players in a distinctly different manner (pushing models along the tabletop)?  Why is this particular thing treated differently?

So that players can still move aircraft where they want them on the table…

…does not, as far as I can see, justify the specific ‘pointing’ requirement – especially in the light of the abstraction of the myriad other maneuvers being represented by dice rolls.  What does the moving/pointing represent?

I’m happy to discuss the design choices I made in this game…

I appreciate that.  You deserve a lot of credit TOM .

https://brawlfactory.net/