Home Forums Modern Hind and Seek – Rules for the Soviet-Afghan War Reply To: Hind and Seek – Rules for the Soviet-Afghan War

madman
Participant

Finished watching the video and made some notes. I will have to look a few things up but here are some first impressions.

At 29:20 you mention a correction will need to be made to the Mujahideen vs Soviet assets as they don’t agree with respect to types of mines and reactions. Have you reviewed this and if so what is the answer?

Why can you fire “through” civilians when you can’t do so through friendlies? I would think this would be the same PLUS the restriction on attacking targets within 6″ of civilians IN ADDITION.

Why have different quality levels of spotting teams? You make no mention that they have to make a quality check in order to “spot” units or am I missing something or was it missed in the rules? I can see making a quality check before attempting to call in an attack. Or is the quality only for survival effects?

I find having to swap between different dice as well as cards at different points in the game turn awkward and confusing. To access “face cards” for air strikes and helicopter support is an 18 in 58 chance. Close enough to 2 in 6 chance to be easily replaced by a 5+ on a D6 roll. Since morale is checked at the end of a turn then a 2D6 roll is less awkward as ALL units are handled the same way and at one time.

My initial impression that units are “moraled” to death still holds. However, when played over more turns the snowball effect is more pronounced. Also as we were playing early war scenarios between DRA units and lee-enfield equipped Mujahideen would account for a lot of the limited damage the units took. Still calling close range “lethal” and not “demoralizing” is confusing when the true game effects. Just my $0.02.

Some other thoughts out side of the video.

You state the size of infantry squads as between 5 and a dozen fighters. Using your carrying capacities of soviet vehicles Soviet infantry squads are clearly 2 (or at most 3) troopers while teams are single individuals or at most two man weapons crews such as lmg teams. Perhaps more clarity in future releases.

The early Hind A only mounts a single 12.7 in the nose. Treat it as a single DShk.

The Hind D mounts only a single Yak-B

The Hind E comes in 2 varieties. The Mi-24V (the most common of all Hinds) is similar to the D, The Mi-24P mounts a Gsh-30K twin barrel cannon fixed to the side of the nose firing directly forward and does not have the Yak-B, I can find no info on how common (numerous) this version was.

The Hind F (Mi-24VP) mounts a GSh-23L twin barrel gun in a redesigned turret in the nose which replaces the Yak-B. Very few were made and soon withdrawn as the system was unreliable.

All Hinds can carry 8 passengers and 4 rocket pods while As and Ds can only carry two ATGMs while the Es can carry four ATGMs. They can also carry gun pods and certain types of bombs. I can work up a complete list or interested parties can download the excellent 4+ publications book at;

http://www.4pluspublications.com/en/publications/3-mi-24-hind

Thank you for the video it showed we were doing most things correctly and how with more capable forces and more time the combat results did build. Please take all the above, like my email questions above, as intended as very interested players looking to help improve the game as well as ensure we were playing it correctly. Thank you.

Stephen