Home Forums Medieval Which shades to use to paint historically, figurines of Welsh warriors? Reply To: Which shades to use to paint historically, figurines of Welsh warriors?

Guy Farrish
Participant

Not sure why the use of green in the illustration of the king (and many of his officers) must be an ‘archaism’?

I mentioned in the other thread on uchelwyr that Welsh troops of the period we are talking about are often mentioned wearing green and white (a trend that continued with the Twdwr rise to power).

The Laws of Hywel Dda, fascinating though they are make no mention of clothing laws. They say the King must give woolen clothes, and the Queen linen clothes to their officers three times a year (no colour stipulated). And they say the payment for a freeman hitting a bondman is 12 pence, six of which are for 3 cubits of white cloth to make a coat for cutting furze in, three for trousers and one for buskins and gloves. And that’s it as far as I know for clothing.

I agree there were probably no sumptuary laws in Wales at this time.

We have evidence of sorts for green red and white – so go with those if you need evidence. As others have said though, I think you can probably stretch your palette if you wish.

As for chequered cloth – it had been fairly common throughout Europe, but I don’t remember seeing a lot of it mentioned or depicted in manuscripts at this period, so probably not.