Home Forums Medieval War of succession of England Reply To: War of succession of England

Paskal
Spectator

Me too but here is another differences, I hope it is valid for 1066:

Vikings evidently used cavalry on occasion, by Danes in operations agains the Wends in the later 11th century ect …

In battle the viking army has a shield – wall, usually in one large phalanx apparently about 5 men deep at least (this is the kind of interesting information you need to post on this topic …)

At Hasting the Saxons are about 10 men deep … (this is the kind of interesting information that must be posted on this topic …)

The Vikings’ hand variation on the simple shield-wall was the svynfylking, a wedge-shaped training that could be used singly or in multiple joined at the base, the whole line resembling a zig-zag.Sword and axemen formed the front rank , then spearmen, and behind them archers, slingers and javelinmen, who are normally open to engagement with missiles to weaken their opponents’ shield-wall …

In a viking circular shield – wald the archers stayed in the open center …

Will this still be a Scandinavian feature compared to the Saxons …

Viking commanders seem to have been protected by a separate shield of the bodyguards (Huskarls elite?)…

This is the kind of interesting information that must be posted on this topic, because the saxons certainly never used this kind of formations, that’s one of the differences I’m trying to make you admit …

In the trade when one finds figurines of vikings it is generally tidy for the IX e and beginning X e siecles no? The Viking clothes for 1066 had to be different (for the unarmored warriors) no?