Home Forums Renaissance Satisfactory Pike and Shot rules Reply To: Satisfactory Pike and Shot rules

Hwiccee
Participant

Good to hear that Pike and Shotte worked for you. I wonder if the predictability of games is because most rules of this (and maybe other) periods make victorious cavalry too controllable. It is rare for rules to make such cavalry pursue their defeated opponent, or simply mill around trying to reform. It is equally rare that the horses are too exhausted for further action. It should be hard (need a good commander) to ‘head inward’ onto the infantry. I guess most players don’t like units misbehaving (particularly if they are commanding the cavalry!). It would make for very different outcomes if, in most games, the cavalry were spent, one way or another, after they had clashed with the opposing cavalry, and the infantry had to resolve the battle themselves. I find Baroque fun, but it doesn’t solve the cavalry problem. I will be interested to see how ‘Twilight of Divine Right’ works, and also ‘For King and Parliament’ which are the forthcoming ECW varient of ‘To the Strongest!’ RogerC

I think you could argue that most rules (I don’t know enough about Baroque or Pike and Shotte to know about them) have some form of ‘cavalry exhaustion’ in them. Certainly in the rules I assume that many of the cavalry  ‘casualties’ are individuals who are too exhausted to carry on or similar. The number of actually dead/wounded in cavalry actions wold be pretty small.

On the issue of losing control of cavalry I think you have to have rules for this in this period and both sets we use do. I think most rules don’t understand this idea because they don’t understand that in armies always fought in two or more lines because of this. Again I can’t comment on Baroque/Pike and Shotte but in the rules we use this is vital. So in ‘Twilight of the Divine Right’ if you win a cavalry combat you have a very good chance of doing an uncontrolled pursuit. If you lose you fall back behind your support and rally behind them. This will in the early stages mean that the victorious unit will blunder into a fresh unit in which it has a good chance of losing. After which of course there is a good chance the fresh enemy unit will now do an uncontrolled pursuit & repeat the process. So cavalry melees often become completely uncontrolled and success will come to the player that manages to keep some kind of control or feed in fresh troops or just by attrition. At some point someone will win a combat and there will be no enemy unit in front for the victorious unit to blunder into. It is then likely to go chasing off a long way after the remnants of the defeated units. This tends to put them way out of the action and it will take them a long time to get back, if at all.