Home Forums General General What are the major hobby news portals these days? Reply To: What are the major hobby news portals these days?

Mike Headden
Participant

The bulk of my wargaming info, these days, comes from either TWW or the Pendraken Forum, both of which I find friendly and informative.

On Ian’s point on ROI of paying for web presence I’d say that the difference it makes to me (and I may be a minority of one!) is in the type of spend rather than necessarily amount spent.

If I see regular “we have a new range/ a new set of figures/ a sale/ a demo of our rules” or whatever I’ll often go, look and buy on impulse. If there’s a decent website but no regular posts (or at least no posts where I’m looking) I will find the site but only go if I remember they have a range that might fit a project I’m working on.

Fighting 15’s is a prime example of the latter. I had long planned to do NW Europe WW2, either 1940 or 1944. I trawled sites looking at 10mm/ 6mm and 3mm alternatives and spent months dotting backwards and forwards working out what I wanted, needed and could afford and settled on 1940 period 3mm O8 stuff. Worked out a spend, spread over a number of months and was eventually ready to go ahead and buy the stuff from Fighting 15s when I spotted news that another company had released 15mm figures I was interested and the spend for Fighting 15s moved a couple of months into the future, then I decided my lead mountain was quite big enough so there was another gap of several months until I changed my mind once again and started buying 3mm Germans and Brits for 1944. The money for medium bomber air support and a beefing up of the tank components of both forces vanished of to Brigade Miniatures recently as I saw here that they had a sale on.

So Fighting 15s got the bulk of the money I’d intended to spend with them without needing to advertise themselves, just a a slightly different time.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!