Home Forums General General What do you call "GW size" minis? Reply To: What do you call "GW size" minis?

irishserb
Participant

From the late 1980’s, I’ve  referred to the “larger than true 25mm” figs as 28mm.  My GW human figs range from about 1989 to whenever the plastic Cadians came out.  I got curious, so just went downstairs and measured a bunch of the most upright figs.  The old IG, circa 1989-91 measured 27mm to 31.5mm in height, generally with helmets (without helmets, they were 28mm and 29.5mm).  The Cadians  measured 29-32mm, all with helmets, except the 29mm guy.  The couple old rogue trader figs that I saw were 29mm.

Foundry Street violence, without big hair were 30-31mm, Copplestone 31-32mm, Rafm 30-31mm, Bobby Jackson all at 30mm, and generally, the mix otherwise ranged around 27-30mm, these generally dating from 1989-1994.  My older Wargames Foundry historicals tend to be closer to 28mm, many a touch under.

In general, I tend to think of most of my “larger” scale figs as 28mm, but I would guess that the average height of my 28mm figs is 30mm.

I have a few figs that were advertised as 32mm, they tend to stand 34-36mm tall, and will probably never be used, as none of them are brutes, justifying the height relative to the shorter figs.  At this point, I avoid anything that advertises as 32mm or taller.

I guess in response to the original question as posed, I call 32mm figs “too big”.