Home Forums Fantasy Burning Sands Burning Sands Reply To: Burning Sands

Angel Barracks

So to test the combat and compare to CROM!

I set the hero up against 3 typical bandits.

I fought the set up 40 times using my rules and 40 times using CROM!

CROM! =

37 victories without taking any wounds
2 victories with having lost 2 dice from the pool of 12
1 victory with having lost 3 dice from the pool of 12

CHRONICLES =

25 victories without taking any wounds
7 victories with having lost 2 dice from the pool of 12*
2 victories with having lost 4 dice from the pool of 12*
2 victories with having lost 6 dice from the pool of 12*
4 deaths

(*Please note that my rules do not use a pool of 12 dice, it uses an Vitality point pool of 6 so I doubled the pool losses. Please also be aware the pool is not the same dice pool as CROM! It is more like the DBA point pool which determines actions/activations, all will become clear later)

But instantly we can see that Chronicles are a lot less certain in their outcome.
I think this is preferable for me as CROM! was almost a foregone conclusion when I played and from the small test run above the results seem to back this up.

So, so far, the combat system seems to work, is a bit more brutal and in mechanics terms a lot more complicated, but in the grand scheme of things not that complicated at all, it is just that CROM! is mega simple/quick.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out is not a version of CROM!
CROM! has free allocation of stats, mine does not.
CROM! has a dice pool which allows you to determine how powerful attacks are.
My pool is not a dice pool, it is an Vitality point pool which determines how many actions you can make, each attack from a hero is always the same number of dice, based on their fixed stats.
Mine has a task based system and Vitality determines how many tasks you can attempt.
It has open, closed and opposed tasks.
So to clarify…  it is a new game!

😀