Home Forums General General Gaming – Diversity Reply To: Gaming – Diversity

Norm S
Participant

So, back to how to bring in more diversity…. honestly, a really good way to do so would be to stage games at local colleges, in their student center or dining hall, some place highly visible.  See about having mini-cons or games days at local high and junior high schools.  Both of those options have worked in Kansas City (both with school gaming days and the Recruits convention), might work elsewhere too.

Darkest Star – All good, obviously a mix up on my part with interpretation. Re above – There have been a couple of recent blog posts by teachers who have put on a big game for what looked like maybe 15 youngsters (is that about half a class?). Anyway, the involvement level looked high, a few faces gave a clear impression of meh!, but some looked like they were really into the playing and who knows, maybe a few buttons were pushed that might lead to the sort of life-time passion that I have enjoyed. As a simple onscreen observer, it did make me smile, just at the sight of youngsters getting enthused about a hobby that for too long people have been telling me is dying with the ‘greying’ generation.

EDIT …I don’t think this is the particular post I meant, but it was one of the bloggers games, anyway here is a link to one example-  http://winserswargames.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/syw-game-for-middle-schoolers.html

Sorry, I can’t get that link to activate, it needs to be copied and pasted. He said it was a voluntary group and that out of 18 students, 4 were girls.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Norm S.
  • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Mike. Reason: fixed link