Home Forums Air and Sea Naval British Fleet Up on the Blog Reply To: British Fleet Up on the Blog

Brian Weathersby
Participant

Hi guys, and sorry for the late responses but we’ve been on vacation for a week and away from computers and such.

Vol:  Yeah, I am still working out how to do the photo-etch ratlines with a minimum of language.  Right now, what I’m doing is running the standing rigging up to the point of the backstays.  Before those are put in, I glue the upper and lower ratlines into place for each mast , and then continue rigging.  I’ve found that if I try and put them on after the backstays are in, it’s too complicated to get the ratlines set into place properly.  I’m still experimenting with better ways to do it, but have not found anything that makes me happy across all ships.  I completely agree with you about French/Spanish running rigging, though!

Jeff:  The mesh ratlines are made from a dyed cotton sheet that Langton used to sell.  You cut a square to size out of it, then double it over and cut at an angle.  That gives you two ratlines of the right size (in theory, anyway).  In practice, I never did master that skill and wound up wasting as much as I used.  When Langton went away from the mesh and started offering photo-etch ratlines, I was an enthusiastic early adapter. They still have to be trimmed lengthwise, but the width on the chains is always right.  If you need some, I can look and see how much I have left.  The P/E lines costs an extra 2-3$ per ship, but at this point that’s a niggling expense.  You will see more of the mesh lines on my older ships, and many of my British ships are older and/or purchased.

Donald: I do try and answer questions if they come through the blog comments, but you’re right that forums are better for getting questions answered.  The nice thing about AoS ships is that you only need one per side to get a game going.  The bad side is that they are addictive once you start!

I'm lucky to be here
With someone I like
Who maketh my spirit to shine
--Warren Zevon