Home Forums Air and Sea Air 1/100 scale Vietnam air support

Tagged: 

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Brian Weathersby Brian Weathersby 4 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

I’ve been speaking with Dave Schmid at Armaments in Miniature, here in the US.  He told me that he currently has masters for the following aircraft:

1) MiG-17

2) A-37

3) F-5A

4) A-1

5) O-2

6) OV-10

The problem is, he doesn’t think that there is enough of a market to justify putting them in production.  He said that he can get a total commitment of 10 copies for a model, that would cover the cost of the mold materials.

So, how many people would be interested in these?  I would be good for 2-3 A-1, and 2 each of the A-37 and f-5A, with possibly 1 OV-10.  If you want to contact him directly, the website is: http://www.armamentsinminiature.com/ .  Also, if the members here would put this out into some other forums, I would appreciate that.  I know that some of the planes he mentioned are covered by Old Glory UK.

EDIT:  I would like to post this over in the “Air” section as well.  Would one of the moderators let me know if this is permitted?

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Brian Weathersby Brian Weathersby. Reason: question about cross-posting

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Hi. I prefer not to have duplicate topics on TWW.
    I can move this to the Air forum if you like, rather than it be here?

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Mike,

I definitely understand not wanting duplicate posts littering up the place.  Given that, let me ask you:  Where do YOU think the topic would best be served?  If you think it’s better in Air, then feel free to move it (my first thought was to put it there).  Whichever way you think is best, I’m OK with.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Jemima Fawr
    Jemima Fawr
    Participant

I must say that I’d have missed it if it was in ‘Air’, as I’m only interested in air support for my ground forces at 1/100th scale.  Similarly, it might be missed by the 1/100th air-to-air aficionados if it was only in here.  I’d argue that this topic is best served remaining in two places, as it’s catering to two distinct genres.

Coming back to the original point… Sadly I don’t really have a use for those models, as I’m mainly interested in the European Theatre and already have ample die-cast MiG-17s and F-5s for my needs.  However, if he did Harrier GR3s, people would snap them up (I already have his lovely Pucara)…

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Well, that’s the reason I approached him about those aircraft.  I have no relation to him other than being a satisfied customer, so have you made the suggestion about the Harrier directly to him?

I too have a diecast F-5, but I need to repaint it as it is marked for one of the USAF aggressor squadrons.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Wow, thanks for posting this.  Four of those are on my “top five” list of planes that I’m looking for, for use in my 15mm gaming.  I just sent him an e-mail committing to buying one or two each, depending on the model.

Again, many thanks for sharing this!

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

I should add, for anyone not familiar with his models, Armaments in Miniature, (or AIM), they are simply perfect.  There are no bubbles, and the detail is fantastic.  Having made my own resin models and done a small number of aircraft,  I can offer that his prices are extremely reasonable, given what goes into making them.

I have the CH47, T-28, and his Ouragon, and like I said above, they are simply perfect.  They are made out of a very fine quality, fairly light weight resin. and are easily adapted to various aircraft stands.

His site is at:

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/armamentsinminiature/

And for the record, I am not affiliated with him in any way, except as a very satisfied customer.

Jemima Fawr
    Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Yes, AiM are exquisite and I have a load of his WW2 stuff.  I did ask him about the Harrier when he brought out the Pucara, but he said there wasn’t much interest, which I found surprising, as surely those who want the Pucara would also want Harriers for the other side…?

At present the only Harrier GR3 in 1/100th is the very scarce Takara/Revell AV-8A kit (which contains parts and decals for the GR3) and I’ve only managed to get my hands on one. 🙁

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Irishserb,

You’re very welcome.  I figure that maybe this way we can show that there is enough interest for him to go ahead and make the molds.  Another person over on TMP mentioned the F-100, which would be nice if I didn’t already have one.

JF,

I got my F-100 from the Takara Area 88 range.  Fortunately, I only needed one as the prices for that model can get downright stupid.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Jemima Fawr
    Jemima Fawr
    Participant

I once had a brace of F-100s by Revell – probably the same model as the Takara kit.

I’d love to get my hands on another Takara MiG-27 Flogger D.  I’ve only ever found one and converted that into an Angolan MiG-23ML.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

I’ve managed to find a couple of Revell F100s, so I’m covered there, but for my Cold War and 3rd World hypotheticals, the Mig 27s would be wonderful, as would a couple each of L29 Defins, L39 Albatrosses, and either some Etendards or Super Etendards.  I’d probably pick up a couple Harriers too.

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Here’s a quick update.  He sent me an email on July 3 to say he’s looking at the A-37 and OV-10 to see how much additional work is needed to get them up to 100% ready.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I’d totally be in for a pair of A-1, and an O-2.  I would LOVE an F-100!!!

I need to order a trio of O-1s from him.  I also need to get the H-34 finished for FP.

Another need: OH-13 in 1/100!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

I found an OH-13 in 1/87 scale on Shapeways.  I sent the shop owner an email about whether he could print it at 1/100, but never heard anything back.  It looks like a nice model, but I don’t want to pay $44.39 for something that is in the wrong scale, even more so when it could possibly be rescaled to be correct.

As to the F100, have you tried eBay?  Takara made a model of it for the Area 88 anime back in the 1980s, I think.  I was lucky enough to get mine at a time when prices weren’t stupid.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I’ll have to dip a toe into evilbay and see, last time I did I found one for $94.  Waaaay out of proportion to the need!  Almost drove me to make all my fixed wings to be small scale.

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Yeah, I wouldn’t pay that much for one either!  There’s one right now for $51 with free shipping from Hong Kong.  I did mention to Dave Schmid at AiM that an F-100 might be a good seller because the Takara model is basically unobtanium, so hang on a little bit longer and let’s see what he says.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I’ve made it this long, I can wait a bit longer.  Don’t know how much longer, but I’ll try to keep a lid on impulses!

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

A new one just showed up on ebay for $30 plus $10 shipping from japan…

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Just keep checking, I picked one up for $9.00 late last year, and another for $12.00 about a year earlier.

sometimes they slip through.

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Oh, if I didn’t already have one I would be taking a look at the $30 auction.  There was one earlier for $14.99 but it’s a mess.  Glue marks everywhere, gaps between parts, possible missing parts and etc.  I think the parts to make a basic airplane are there, but I wouldn’t be willing to pay that much to find out.  The link is below if anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Area-88-1-100-Micky-Scymon-F-100D-Super-Saber-Fighter-Model-Kit-TAKARA-Japan/192234922887?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D52973%26meid%3Da9b73eeeffdf47a6b8464b8bb3787ccc%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D153072733591%26itm%3D192234922887&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ab422bbf2-8654-11e8-86a2-74dbd180891f%7Cparentrq%3A91e286411640ac3d5475fb3bfffe85f7%7Ciid%3A1

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.