Home Forums Air and Sea Naval 1/2400th Scratchbuilt USS Essex and USS Benton

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

This was a bit of a slog but here’s the last of my scratch built ironclads in 1/2400th scale, the USS Essex and as a BOGOF bonus the USS Benton:

The last photo shows the 1/2400th Essex next to the 1/600th Peter Pig version, to show how small these thing are and why my eyesight now needs a rest!

More photos on the blog:

http://jimswargamesworkbench.blogspot.com/2020/08/uss-essex-and-uss-benton.html

deephorse
    Participant

Yes, that is tiny.  Thanks for the comparison.

Trust science, not the scientists.

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

The Essex scales out at 32mm x 7mm, so you need a magnifier to add all the little details, and even then it’s all white against white plastic, so really tricky to see what you are doing.

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Maybe I should try scratchbuilding in 1/600 next time

McKinstry
    Participant

I’m a big fan of 1/2400 for the 19th Century and these are brilliant. I’m looking forward to seeing them painted and in a game.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Just undercoated the whole lot in matt black, so will start painting with the bases tomorrow.

Any idea what colour the Yazoo river is?

I’m guessing a nice muddy brown?

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Yes, that is tiny. Thanks for the comparison.

It’s the smallest thing I’ve made for a while for sure!

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

I’m a big fan of 1/2400 for the 19th Century and these are brilliant. I’m looking forward to seeing them painted and in a game.

Me too. It’s a perfect scale for ironclad actions.

deephorse
    Participant

Me too. It’s a perfect scale for ironclad actions.

Personally, I’ve never had an issue with 1/600 for ACW naval.  Yes, some heavy rifles (as SOTW rules call them) can almost fire the length of the table, but they are unlikely to hit anything at extreme range, and judicious placing of terrain can easily take care of that.

Trust science, not the scientists.

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

That’s why I’m using 1/600th for scenarios with a few ships per side, historical duels between two of three ships etc on a standard 6′ x 4′ but 1/2400th scale for solo campaigns requiring a lot more ships and modular terrain. I’d use 1/1200th as well but that’s a scale I don’t have any models for and there’s no need to triplicate the effort!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.