Home Forums Air and Sea Naval 1/700 WW2 Naval Test Game

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

https://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2022/11/first-1700-ww2-test-game-bismark-updates.html

A couple of weeks ago I took my 1/700 WW2 Project to the club and we had a play through with the 8 Destroyers I have built.

I’ve put a blog post together discussing the various options and choices I’m trying to make. Ground Scale is the obvious one, whilst the purists will look to do model scale to ground scale and Warlord Games will do Midway on a 6 x 4. I’m looking for something in between, so I’ve started on a 12 x 8.

I’ve used my own rules, I know they work as we’ve been using them for 25 plus years, let the games begin.

Regards Ken
    The Yarkshire Gamer

Http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Participant

Excellent post, cheers Ken.

Participant

I do hope you didn’t let that German destroyer captain drive home after his display of navigation skills on the table!ย  To be fair, that sounds exactly like something I would do.

Looks very promising, and can’t wait to see your 36′ table megalomania in action !

Participant

I saw your post on another forum, but I thought Iโ€™d reply here too because Iโ€™m really enjoying your series of posts. Please keep them coming. ๐Ÿ™‚

Re: โ€œIโ€™m looking for a happy medium, something that is playable on a table I can manage.โ€

Yes, finding a balance between model scale and sea scale is a challenge, even with tables as large as yours. I think the trick is choosing what you are happy to compromise.

I use 1/3000 miniatures and 2 inches for 1,000 yards (which is 1/18,000, so the models are six times bigger than they ought to be). I find that creates two or three distortions:

• Ships in formation are further apart than they should be because we separate the ships based on model scale, not sea scale. The leading ship will often be several thousand yards closer to the enemy than the rear ship in the same formation. That encourages the tendency to concentrate fire on the leading ship because it is significantly closer.
    • Turns are wider than they should be because we tend to turn the ships based on model scale, not sea scale. That often results in ships closing the range far more than intended when changing course, making games more lethal. But games where nothing sinks are no fun.
    • Collisions appear more likely. When the models are much bigger than the sea scale, they appear far more likely to collide at close range because the models are occupying far more table space than sea space. More collisions are fun, but not particularly historical (though the Mogami managed to collide with another cruiser at both Midway and Leyte).

Looking forward to Hood versus Bismarck. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.