Home Forums Horse and Musket General Horse and Musket 1/72 basing for Colonials

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

A friend of mine is painting 1/72’s for the Sudan and is undecided about the basing system. Single miniatures on round or square bases, or multiple figures on bases? What’s your advice? So far he has the Portable Wargame in mind. but would like to play other rules (for example The Men Who Would Be Kings). Thank you

Participant

I can’t find the link but there is a 3-2-1 basing scheme that has been recommended for TMWBK and the other  ‘rampant’ family of games. Square or circular bases work either way. I did it on square bases for my Zulu’s but did 4-3-2-1 so I can Group them to use for one hour Wargames.
    (may be not the best explanation on my behalf.)

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

I think most rules nowadays are fairly base agnostic, including the two you’ve mentioned.  I’ve played both Bob Cordery’s various rules, and the various Rampant series from Dan Mersey with both element based forces and individually based.  (For the Sudan specifically, I’ve used both 15mm element figures, and 28mm round bases…and also for Black Powder, Patrols in the Sudan, Sharpe Practice and a bunch of others I can’t remember.  They all worked no matter the basing!)

It’s easier to play with individually mounted figures, as you just remove a figure for a loss.  With element you must use a slightly unsightly die or casualty cap to track losses.  On the other hand, it’s a little faster to play with elements because there are less things to physically move.

I find – and this is entirely subjective – individual round bases look better for skirmishes, square look better for nice, neat formations drawn up in rank and file.

As I am forever trying new rules, I’m a bit leery committing to that 3-2-1 system of Michael Lecks.  My best compromise has been to mount figures individually on round bases…but then to use sabot trays to move them about.

Participant

I play Plains Indian Wars using TMWWBK.  All foot figures are on round bases, but I put them in sabots for ease of moving.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.