Home Forums Air and Sea Air 1/72 Blackburn Skua

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Cameronian
    Participant

An ancient Novo kit:

Not entirely sure what I’ll use it for. Apart from gathering dust on a shelf.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Cameronian.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Cameronian.

'The time has come" The walrus said. "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

zippyfusenet
    Participant

Nice work.

What we used to do when we got tired of a display model is take it down in the gully behind the street, tape a fire cracker to the bottom, pour paint thinner on it, light it, and watch it burn and blow up. Is what we used to do.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Thomaston
    Participant

One of my favorite FAA aircraft.

Tired is enough.

Cameronian
    Participant

Cheers folks.  Used to do the firebug thing with Airfix tanks many moons ago, wonder what happened to the pics?…hmmm

'The time has come" The walrus said. "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

Dave Crowe
    Participant

What a great old airframe the Skua is. The blind spots trying to see out of that cockpit look about as bad as my Suzuki SX4.

I must get me some more FAA planes for my collection.

Nice tidy paint job. Was out at an airshow last month and the Ulster Aviation Society were out with a tent raising cash and awareness. They had a stall selling some nice kits folks had built and painted up and donated to them to sell on. Beats blowing ’em up I suppose.

Cameronian
    Participant

Thanks Dave.  I must admit it was a type completely unknown to me, it and it’s Roc partner.

What to do with them is a puzzler.  Some months from now my entire collection, armies and all wargaming accoutrements, kits, built and unbuilt, books, paints and materials will all have to go.  None of it is of any interest to family or friends and I can’t transport it.  What to do?

zippyfusenet
    Participant

Ouch. You seem resigned to the change and I hope it’s for a good reason, but I know I’d be very sorry to dump my lifetime hobby collection. They’re only toys, but they make me happy.

If you can’t transport them, then I suppose it’s out of the question to inventory, photograph, list them for sale in different media, correspond with customers and ship them out. In my experience, selling off any large amount of hobby goods is a full-time job, and the money you get won’t compensate for the time you spend. When I do a sales campaign, I’m mainly motivated to get the items to another hobbyist who will appreciate them.

I sense that you’d willingly give the collection to someone who would curate and enjoy it, but it seems you have no one in your circle who would, and you’re isolated from other hobbyists. Maybe…you could talk to a history teacher at a local high school or college. He or she might enjoy history as a hobby, and might know others with the same interests, who would be glad to take your inventory of modelling supplies and your finished projects. If one of the teachers mentors a student club oriented to history, models and/or historical gaming, you might even score a tax credit for donating your property to the club…although you’d have to go to the trouble of documenting the donation for tax purposes, so that you might prefer not to.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Cameronian
    Participant

Zippy; all good thoughts and I appreciate it.  I’d rather give it all away to people who would appreciate the stuff.  All the figures and kits already appear on blogs.  An idea I did have was contacting wargames clubs in the area to see if they wanted them. See what gets enabled I guess.

John D Salt
    Participant

It’s only going to be helpful for unbuilt kits, I’m afraid, but you might take a look at:

http://www.kitrescue.net/index.php

All the best,

John.

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Nicely done. Why not make a Tirpitz in 1/72nd scale to dive bomb?

Cameronian
    Participant

John, that’s an interesting site, bookmarked, cheers.

Jim, thanks for the comment.  Dive bomb the Tirpitz with a Skua? You first

jeffers
    Participant

First British confirmed kill of WW2 was by a Skua.

I think Novo were all ex Frog kits. Always thought they went together well, but none of my Novo kits ever had decals on because they tended to disintegrate. I had no access to replacements (apart from telling Airfix porkies 🤫) so they remained unadorned. Now that isn’t an issue I reckon they make good, robust wargaming models.

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.